jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

How Do Your Video Hubs Perform?

1. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago

I have a video hub that features the same video as the one on my YouTube channel with 100.000+ views. Yet none of my video hubs here on HP are good performers.

I was wondering if anyone had a "winner"ยท video hub on HP.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

There was anothe long thread on this a while ago, by someone else who was having exactly your experience.

I don't understand how videos work for SEO.  Obviously there's something special about Youtube which allows Google to decide a video's ranking without many keywords - but from what I've seen, that doesn't work elsewhere, even if a post is marked up as a video post.  You still need a fair bit of text. 

I'd love to come across someone who can explain it.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 3 years ago

From what I know from friends who work for some of the big search engines, HubPages choice to make those video Hubs auto-playing is hurting us somewhat.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wondered about that - but then, Youtube videos autoplay too (which I admit I find intensely annoying).

1. Greekgeek profile image96
        Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

YouTube is a well-known video site where it's expected, however. Hubpages is  not, so the autoplay is a surprise.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good point.  I've always disliked auto-play myself and discouraged people from using it.

4. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 3 years ago

Auto-playing videos tend to cause most page visitors to hit the back button and almost immediately go elsewhere.  The reason turns out to be it's because auto-playing videos are one of the top three situations that cause people to be discovered goofing off on the Internet at work

5. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 3 years ago

Right. After discovering that Hubpages video hubs are auto play, I have not made any more. I myself would leave it if I found such a page, so I can't expect visitors to want to stay. The autoplay on that hub has gotten negative feedback from friends who visited it while browsing my profile.

i'm curious why HP decided that autoplay was a good idea.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ditto.

6. Page1 SEO tactics profile image77
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 3 years ago

From my understanding Google has owned YouTube since 2006 as you can read here:  http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15196982/ns/b … e-billion/
    With that said YouTube / Google will rank videos how they like.

Although I've been looking into what I think is a new feature that Youtube has (as at first it was only on a few videos, starting a in early February), where you can see the transcription of the video, as to if the transcription will have a say in the SERP on YouTube / Google search.

As for HP videos, having some great white hat optimized writing to go with it will help out the SERP a bit, which HP video hubs need. As the others mentioned: the auto-play is going to hurt it.  Hopefully HP staff will see this thread and make a change.

7. Michael Willis profile image76
    Michael Willisposted 3 years ago

I have not made a video hub because of auto-play.  I hate seeing pages where they force their downloads on me. I want the choice to download or not. I pay for those GB I use so I will block pages that use autoplay.
    Note: On YouTube I know if I click on a link that it will play automatically. I can still see previews ( without an automatic download ) before clicking on a specific link.

8. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago

You are all enlightening me on the perils of auto-play, but so far no-one has answered my question:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6281500_f248.jpg
    How are your videos hubs performing? Has anyone got a winner, a well earning video hub on HP?

working