HP Ads verses Google Adsense

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (38 posts)
  1. the clean life profile image71
    the clean lifeposted 11 years ago

I'd like to know what hubbers think regarding HP ads verses Google Adsense. Can you run both at the same time or only one.?If only one, which one do you think would earn more revenue? Is there a way to switch from HP ads to Google and if so how can you do it?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You may run HPads (which includes a very few adsense ads) or you may Adsense by itself.

Most hubbers find HPads provides superior earnings, but there are exceptions.  The only way to know in your particular case is to shut off HPads, which will leave Adsense running.  It can be done in the earnings section of the stats page, just don't keep turning it off and on every few days.

the clean lifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wilderness- Thank you for the info. I will give it a try and see what happens, although I do like HPads and make at least 1.00 + each day.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image66
      theherbivorehippiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I only run AdSense. I tried the ad program for a bit, but I make a lot more money through AdSense. I think I am the minority though, as most people experience the opposite.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I prefer Adsense also!  Once in a while you'll get the high dollar clicks.  Besides, I don't like the in-house program.

3. aisha91 profile image55
      aisha91posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello cleanlife, I am also curious about the effect of hp ad program and adsense ad program in my overall earning. I have visited your profile and I see that your adsense ad program is on. Can you please keep us posted about your experiment? I am at hpads right now, and also thinking to tryout adsense but ebay holding me back.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

They are both adsense based and you have to pick one.  I do better on hubads but other people find the reverse.  I would suggest trying each one for a couples of weeks to see which does best.  Remember that if you run hubads you still have one adsense ad, and so need to add those together to get total earnings.

Thank you psycheskinner, I will look into maybe changing for a week or so.

3. Anna Sternfeldt profile image60
    Anna Sternfeldtposted 11 years ago

This is a bit confusing to me, it seems like I have both running, but you say that I have to pick one? I haven't done so, but I get reports telling what I have earned from HP earning program and if I go into my Google Adsense account I can see that I have earned a small sum there as well. But on the other hand... if you clean life with so many hubs earn 1 dollar a day..is it really worth it..well...money wise.. I am thinking of what time and efforts I have to put in to have as many hubs as you have...and not expecting to earn more..I think I focus on my novel :-)

Hi Anna, I shut off HP ads to see if I get any clicks from Adsense. As of now Nothing and not making anything from HP. I will give it a few days and may just turn back on HP ads.

4. tiffanyz profile image60
    tiffanyzposted 11 years ago

I am confused also Ana, I didn't realize that I had to choose.  I have HP, Adsense, Amazon and Ebay. I make a few pennies a day. Yesterday, I earned 15 cents, which I am very happy about because my hubs are being read. Someone mentioned Guest Blogging on other pages, but I am not sure how to do that. I have not made any money from Adsense yet? just HP. There is so much hype about Adsense, but I don't find it that worthwhile, to be honest.

Tiffany I have the same as you with amazon, ebay adsense and HP ads. I need to ask the forum if shutting off HP ads will effect my default tracker, regarding having people sign up.

If anyone know that answer please post it here. Thank you!

5. Anna Sternfeldt profile image60
    Anna Sternfeldtposted 11 years ago

But I think that is what you are able to have, ebay, Amazon, and google Adsense, when you have the HP adprogram, that is what I have as well. I was just confused about the option of having either HP ads or google adsense..

I am heading over and ask the forum about my tracker and if shutting of HP ads effects it

6. Anil and Honey profile image59
    Anil and Honeyposted 11 years ago

Google Adsense Rejected my Application. Now my account balance is zero.which are another source  for getting money.I don't know.

Turn on you HP ads in the earnings section.

7. ComposerGoneWild profile image68
    ComposerGoneWildposted 11 years ago

You also have to take into consideration that your money will go up and down with either depending on if people ACTUALLY click on the ads themselves.

Personally, I make way more with HP ad program, but my personal website I make money from Google Adsense.  I also put amazon ads on both my hubs and my official website.  Amazon awards you a percentage of the sale.

Thanks ComposerGoneWild, I too have my blog with adsense. I will try this for a week and more than likely go back to HP ads. At least I make money each day there. Thanks

8. VVanNess profile image76
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

I am new to Hubpages and getting paid to write. How do I get involved with HP ads and how would I replace the Google ads in my articles with HP ones?

Welcome VVanNess! I believe if you go to your earning stats there is a button to the left Configure. try clicking that and it may say turn on HP ads. Ii am not real sure, but I know someone here has the correct answer. Check checking in here and you will get the right answer. Welcome aboard !

1. VVanNess profile image76
        VVanNessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On my Hubpages Earnings page, there is no option for HP ads. Unless of course all of you are talking about HP like Hubpages and not like Hewlett-Packard, lol. I have been having the hardest time with getting a Google Adsense account and I don't know why. It is keeping me from earning in just about every other area.

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
          Rosie2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You cannot join the HPAds Program if you don't have a Google Adsense account, but you can apply with Amazon directly for an Amazon affiliate account.  Amazon pays you directly.  I don't have eBay, so I don't know anything about eBay.

... and no. .. we are not talking about Hewlett-Packard... I think. big_smile

Thanks! Do you have any tricks up your sleeve for getting a Google Adsense account? I've been trying for a while and cannot seem to master it.

Sorry, I don't.  Two years ago, I applied when I started writing on Squidoo, and I got accepted right away with only one lens.  I guess Google just made it tougher these days, and probably Google liked Squidoo then... not too much now tho'.  Good luck!

Thanks!

9. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

i think they are both the same...except one you share.

10. athulnair profile image66
    athulnairposted 11 years ago

I think HP will run ads from different publishers, which includes Microsoft ads and adsense. We do not have control over which one but HP earnings are based upon mostly no of views. But adsense are based on clicks.

Thank you for this information,

11. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

When you run the Hub Pages Ad Program you are also running Google Ads, which means you have the potential to earn with both Google AdSense and Hub Pages at the same time. When you run the Hub Pages Ad Program though I think the majority of the ads would be from other advertising networks so your direct Google AdSense earnings will be potentially less than the Ad Program earnings. At least that is what I am experiencing right now. Besides, the Ad Program is based on impressions not clicks so either way you slice it the Ad Program earns you more than Google AdSense itself. So, I would run the Ad Program for sure.

12. THX1138 profile image60
    THX1138posted 11 years ago

I'm new to HubPages and have a very big AdSense question I'd rather HubPages answer -- except I can't figure out how to ask them directly.

I've been taking a New York University course on search engine marketing and have been using Google's AdWords tool to produce text ads for a real-world client.  By using AdWords I'm on the other side of the AdSense equation: from inside AdWords I can see that HubPages is one of the websites where the ads I create are displayed.

But here's the thing: when a marketer creates an AdWords display campaign she must choose how her client, the advertiser, will pay.  There are two critically different choices: pay by the *click* or pay by the *impression*.  The team I'm on for this NYU course is universally choosing to have our client pay by the click, because obviously that way he only pays for someone who's interested enough in the ad to click on it.  And frankly I can't imagine why an advertiser would pay by the impression instead.

Yet the HubPages FAQ explains how it generates income strictly in terms of impressions.  The FAQ says:

"After you’ve joined advertising affiliate programs and/or the HubPages Earnings Program, ads from these programs may appear on your Hubs. 60% of the time, any ads appearing on your Hubs can earn money for you. This is referred to as your share of impressions."

Does anyone have enough experience with HubPages to know whether HubPages is using the term "impressions" the same way that Google AdWords (and AdSense) is?  Or does HubPages really mean *clicks* when it talks about "impressions"?

Because if HubPages and Google are using the term "impressions" in exactly the same way I'd be amazed if creating Hubs would ever generate much AdSense income.

13. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Hi the clean life, I am actually experimenting on Google Adsense alone this month.  Since March 20, 2013, my daily impressions dropped like a hot potato (from 400-500/day to 100+).  My views are the same and Google Analytics remains normal--visits, views and all.  So, what da heck happened?  Did my viewers suddenly decided that my hubs were not worth reading through?  Is it due to HP experimenting on ads?  But how come I don't read anything from other hubbers about this in the forums.  Is it just me? 

"Rosie... it is just you!"  sincerely, Hubpages. big_smile

Today is March 5th, so far my earnings from Adsense alone is a whopping $1.61.  So far today, I've made 3 cents.  Woohoo!!!  I'll keep you posted.

ooops, today is March 4th.  So, it's about 50 cents a day.  To be continued...

Holy cow!  Rosie, wake up!  It's April !!!!!!!!!!!!

It's ok, Rosie.  Nobody's paying attention to you anyway. lol

14. lovebuglena profile image85

THX1138 - 60% of the time our AdSense ID is in place and 40% of the time it is the Hub Pages AdSense ID that's in place. Basically 60% of the ad impressions go to us and 40% go to Hub Pages. It doesn't matter if an ad is clicked on or not. Now if someone clicks on an ad and at that time the Hub Pages AdSense is running then Hub Pages gets the revenue and not you but I don't know how we can know when our AdSense is running and when their's is.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can usually hover the cursor over the ad and see either your Adsense code or one of HP's displayed.  Optional is to right click on them and view the frame info.  However, it's impossible to check every hub to see if they are indeed getting a 60/40 split.  It's a "trust us" sorta system. 

I would prefer HP to take the first 24 minutes and give us the 36 every hour so we could indeed check the system.  But noooooo.......mad

2. THX1138 profile image60
      THX1138posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lovebuglena -- thanks for the reply.  I'm less interested in understanding when my 60% kicks in than in knowing how it can possibly kick in at all if AdWords advertisers are running their ads on a pay-per-click model rather than a pay-per-impression model.  I'm running AdWords display ads for a client right now and I've selected the pay-per-click model because Google's display network easily generates zillions of impressions but *rarely* generates clicks.

Example: one of my ads was served 24,439 times but generated only 32 clicks for a click-through-rate of 0.13% (in other words, dreadful) and a cost-per-click of 65 cents.  Client's total expenditure: $20.89

I can't imagine an advertiser paying per impression.  So I'm reluctant to believe that HubPages is actually doing so with its own Hub builders.

But I'd be delighted for someone to supply some evidence that I'm wrong.

15. c mark walker profile image60
    c mark walkerposted 11 years ago

getting on Adsense is the trick though huh?

16. lovebuglena profile image85

I have worked with Google AdWords before at one of my jobs and I have seen CPM used for the ad campaigns. Some advertisers care more about people seeing their ads more than about them clicking on the ads. I would assume though that probably any Google Ads displayed on Hub Pages would be CPC and ads from other networks would be CPM.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)