jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

"Dumb Question" Thread

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Starting this thread in the hopes that some of us who are still learning can post questions and get some answers from our more experienced colleagues here.  I'll start:

On Quantcast, there's a breakdown of the demographics of Internet users and the percentage off visitors to a site who are various ages, genders, etc.  HOW do they know these things?  Where do they get this data?  And yes, it creeps me out in a very Big Brother way.

Thanks!  And if anyone has other questions, please post!

2. Sheri Faye profile image86
    Sheri Fayeposted 4 years ago

Yikes....I had no idea and it creeps me out to!

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

I have another Dumb Question (trust me - there's a reason I posted this):

What is a Widget?  What would we use it for, and how? I've seen the link on my account, and really haven't had the time to look into it,  Sorry for not knowing.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Relache!  I confess I had completely missed that part of the learning center - and I can see how it would be a useful thing to add to other sites.  Wonder if we could plug it into Facebook  . . . (doubtful?).

4. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Quantcast answers your question on their FAQ page.  It states that the demographic data is not obtained by personal identifiable data but instead uses numerous data inputs that provide some insight into demographic benchmarks and a large scale mathematical model to infer demographics of visitors.

Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for replying, Rebekah - I did know that much, but I am curious as to the source of the data - where it comes from, and how they (the source) get that information. There are no consumer surveys that I know of, so they're able to mine the data somewhere, and that has me curious.

working