Curious, How many hubbers actually read hubs from other writers?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (34 posts)
  1. bonnebartron profile image69
    bonnebartronposted 10 years ago

I love reading hubs, my fav writers are those who have left comments on my page! Actually awfulpoet is one of my fav.'s but sometimes I wonder how many people that are reading my page are from Hubpages, and how many are actually from outside sources? Is there a way to know?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do-- not a lot, but I do read some. In fact I recently read one of yours and commented.

2. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not read as many other writers articles within our community here, as I could, as well as should. But I realize that the majority of those who pen articles, like to receive comments, or feedback. You could say its good moral support, so to speak, to let others know you appreciate their work.

In other words, a little pat on the back so often can go al long way! But it's good to have an equal balance of newly written articles , as well as commenting on other fellow writers hubs.  And if you click on stats, on each of your own articles.  This in turn will give you a rough idea of who is viewing those articles, including those searching through google.

3. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your traffic source on your stats page and stats for individual hubs can tell you whether or not your traffic is internal or from outside sources. The page views you get for the first 48 hours after publishing are usually internal (HP traffic).

Most hubbers read other hubbers' works.

4. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I read a lot of hubs.

Go to your account page (you can get there from upper right corner, drop down menu from your user name); to the left is "traffic sources"; click on that, you see where you're traffic is coming from.

I get a lot of traffic from HP. Quite a bit from Google too. And a little from other places: Bing, etc.

5. profile image0
      Joanne M Olivieriposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do read many of the hubbers that I follow.  If I had time I would read more.

6. VVanNess profile image77
      VVanNessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is a way to see who is reading your material and from where. If you will click on My Account under your name at the top right of your screen, and then click Traffic Sources on the left side of your page under the table that starts with statistics, Hubpages has given you a place to find out where all of your traffic is coming from.

I hope this helps!

7. Clint Ward profile image61
      Clint Wardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I spent a few days reading hubs before joining there are a lot of good writers out there.

2. MoonByTheSea profile image92
    MoonByTheSeaposted 10 years ago

Google analytics can tell you which views originated from hubpages.com. It's not definitive, since non-members could come to hubpages first and then view your pages, but it's still some data for consideration.

3. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 10 years ago

Me too

4. JewelryBlogger profile image59
    JewelryBloggerposted 10 years ago

Yes i read a lot of other people's hubs. I rate the ones that keep me engaged long enough to get to the end, but i don't generally comment.

5. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 10 years ago

I enjoy reading hubs and go through quite a number of hubs each day, although I generally do not comment, I do rate the hubs I read smile I would say I am addicted to reading and probably go through about 50 hubs a day on average.

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Yes, I enjoy reading the articles. I think it's important to support those ppl who are supporting you as well, and I try to remember to leave a comment when ever I can.
    I really like recipes, especially around dinner time when I cant think of anything to make. smile

7. Astra Nomik profile image64
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Hubs are important and I love reading them, yes. We are a community of writers after all. Now if we could get more from outside hubs to come I here and read, that would be awesome.

8. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

If I find a Hub on my feed interesting, I read it. I mostly check out recipes and SEO/Social Media related hubs.

9. sparkleyfinger profile image87
    sparkleyfingerposted 10 years ago

You can tell via your stats. If you look at traffic sources, it gives you an idea of where views have come from. If they come from a particular Hubber, a link to that profile will appear on the traffic source list. I'f you are interested in a specific hub, click into it, and at the top of the hub you will see STATS... Click this, and alter the time frames for a specific indication relevant to that hub.

10. laszlojaeger profile image60
    laszlojaegerposted 10 years ago

I think most of the views come from other hubbers. Hubs are well presented to us but except some popular hubs they are poorly rated by search engines.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not at all, most of my views come from Google. That, after all, is what we are aiming for.

I read Hubs occasionally and comment if I have something worthwhile to add.

11. Fateslayer99 profile image83
    Fateslayer99posted 10 years ago

I'm new here but from what I've seen most hub views are from hubbers. Usually hubpages results aren't on the first or second page of google unless the title is typed word for word in the search bar smile

12. Jenn-Anne profile image75
    Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

Sure, I read a hub or two (and sometimes more) every week. As for my hubs, I see a mix of traffic from hubpages and from search engines.

13. wayne barrett profile image75
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

I read a lot of hubs, mostly short stories and poetry, and I like leaving comments because I believe encouragement is essential to the mindset of an artist.

14. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

I hate typing...but I love reading,so I tend to read,rate,and move on.I comment only when the hub pulls it out of me...and yes,I read a ton of hubs.
    We have some refined writers here.We also have some crappy writers,or as I like to call it...Mink and Manure.Admire the Mink,hold your nose through the Manure...And appreciate an effort regardless.

15. cperuzzi profile image89
    cperuzziposted 10 years ago

I would consider it a requirement.  In order to be a good writer (according to Robert Bly on Freelance Writing) half of your time is spent reading other people's works in order to improve your own.

16. Thundermama profile image91
    Thundermamaposted 10 years ago

I try to make a point of reading a few hubs a day. There are a few hubbers I follow, like billybuc and then I like to hub hop to discover new writers. I'm here for the writing and reading. I love the community aspect of HubPages, so there has to be some give and take.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aw, Billy's great.

17. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

I get far more traffic from search engines than I get from other hubbers, but I enjoy getting comments and feedback - and outsiders rarely leave comments.

Because I live off the grid and don't like to waste precious solar power on television, I sit down most nights after my family has gone to bed and read a bunch of hubs. I really enjoy a good hub and never hesitate to leave a comment. I also try to encourage new writers who show promise.

The way I find new hubbers to read and follow is generally by clicking on the profile page of other hubbers who leave comments on whichever hub I happen to be reading at the time. If I admire a comment, I click to open their profile page in a separate tab and see what the hubber has written about. I'm happy to view, vote and follow anyone who writes well because I think their positive contribution to the value of HP should be rewarded.

Having said that, I understand that many hubbers lead busier lives than I do these days.  Not everyone has the time to read. If you do read, however, I think it is important to vote.

Perhaps my greatest motivation for taking the time to encourage other hubbers comes from decades of being a professional writer. I can still remember what it was like before I was a published author and before I was paid a mountain of money to write for film and television. Feedback is very important when you are starting out.

I'm quietly confident there are quite a few hubbers who could make a living out of writing if they gained the confidence to give it a try. I'd like them to have as interesting a life as I have had.

If I can encourage a few would-be professional writers in the way a few special people encouraged me in my early years, that's a good thing.

I'll keep reading and commenting as long as my solar batteries allow. In my winter time, you'll probably see a lot less of me!  smile

18. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I am developing a steady habit of reading and commenting on 5 hubs per day (outside of my volunteer work as a HubGreeter, where I aim to do 3 per day). I change up my methods of finding hubs - I search topics, I type in searches, I follow my feed, I check in on hubbers I follow, I go to the Apprentice Alumni forum, I look at my own followers.

Sometimes, I want to focus on a topic that I write about. Other times, I go for viewing photos or reading poetry for inspiration. Other times, I look for things I've never heard about.

Reading the work of other hubbers is, in short, a great way to keep growing. And I know how encouraged I am when someone comments on a hub (emotionally, it's a great boost), so I do unto others as I would be done to!

19. TheKatsMeow profile image89
    TheKatsMeowposted 10 years ago

I love the community here, and I love reading other people's Hubs. In fact I spend far too much time reading other Hubs when I should be doing my work.

20. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Most definitely, I read hubs of fellow hubbers and leave comments 98% of the time. If I don't, it's because I'm either rushing, or thought it was not up to standard. I read hubs randomly from the hubfeed or by cruising through the Topic section. I also do the hub hopper. I also read my followers and those I'm following when I have the time.

21. ikepius profile image59
    ikepiusposted 10 years ago

I do. Quite a lot too. But I dont always post a comment because am not always sure I have something to say. But I guess one way to know where your readers are coming from is through comments.

22. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

I tend not to. Because I'm not particularly interested in recipes or dog-walking tips or what celebrities are up to.

23. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

It's definitely a good idea to read and comment on hubs written by those hubbers that follow you and read your work. This way they will remember you and keep returning to your hubs. Sometimes though time doesn't allow for doing that on a regular basis. Also, one can't possibly read and comment on hubs by every hubber follower, especially if that # is in hundreds.

It is possible to find out how much traffic comes from HubPages and how much of it comes from other sources but I don't think you can get information that is 100% accurate and for each hub at that.

24. bonnebartron profile image69
    bonnebartronposted 10 years ago

Great answers! Thanks guys! smile

25. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I read hubs almost everyday.  I may catch one on the feed or from my daily notification list.  I don't care who the author is, if it interests me, I'll read it and most often vote up.  There are so many amazing writers on HP with fascinating hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)