jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Stop Hubs from being Copied/Pasted and Stolen by Other Sites

1. 2besure profile image83
    2besureposted 3 years ago

I just discovered and downloaded Wordpress Prevent Copy Paste plugin to my websites. It prevents you from highlighting content to copy and paste.  I have heard a lot of complaints about our hubs being stolen, and put on other sites, which hurts your SEO, because of duplicate content. You lose money, we lose money!  Can our experts here at HubPages, do the same for us?  Hoping and praying, Pam.

1. brianrock profile image92
      brianrockposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Like Simey said, it sounds good but it won't actually accomplish much.

When people "scrape" content, they use software that finds and downloads content from the Internet. Sometimes it accesses the page directly, and sometimes it accesses an RSS feed (because these have better structure to their HTML). The scraping software strips it down to the text of the article, and the scraper can then do what he wants with it.

And there's no feasible way to prevent the scraping software from accessing the page without, well, blocking everyone. And that kind of defeats the purpose. Not to mention plug-ins like that lead to a poor user experience for the 99.99% of people reading your hub who aren't trying to steal your writing.

A better suggestion would be to include a link somewhere in the article to another one of your hubs. This way, when the perpetrator scrapes and re-uses your content he will most likely keep that link, creating a free backlink to one of your hubs.

Make the best of a bad situation, ya know?

1. quotations profile image93
        quotationsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Your idea about using the scrapers to create links for you is brilliant. I love it.

2. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 3 years ago

Unfortunately this type of thing doesn't prevent professional scrapers from copying our work - it may deter a casual copier, but it's the scrapers who are doing the most damage to us!

3. 2besure profile image83
    2besureposted 3 years ago

Wow, had not idea, scraping other sites content was an organized operation!  Professional scrapers, hummm!  Unbelievable how hard dishonest people work, to make money on other people's labors!  Thanks for the great input everyone!