jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is a backlink and how do I use it?

1. Miss-Taken profile image62
    Miss-Takenposted 7 years ago

I've just searched through the help section and can't find an answer to my question, or if it's there I'm not looking in the right place OR just not understanding what I'm reading. (Which is entirely possible, believe me!)
    Ok.. I have an adsense code thingy but have no idea how to use it. I don't understand how to create traffic to my hubs. If anyone has a minute and could explain this to me in layman's terms, I would so greatly appreciate it.
    Or.. point me in the direction of where in all these help topics I might find the answer I seek.
    I honestly am not an idiot. I've created websites before, using HTML even!! Yet for some reason this seems to be baffling me completely.

Please help!

Thank you!

1. Lissie profile image86
      Lissieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not stupid at all - you asked the question that's not stupid! The link jguva added is a good one - to read too
      a) you have a pub-xxxxxxx (where x are your numbers and don't ever reveal in a forum)- that is the code which tells Adsense to credit your account with payment when someone clicks on an ad in your hub . At hubpages you just add this to your affiliate settings - that all you have to do - if using your own site you'd have to create an ad and add the html to your own site

b) traffic to hubs comes from lots of sources: your friends a facebook clicking your link, your mother clicking the link you emailed her etc. If you want traffic that will actually make you money then you need to ranked high in the search engine results for a  keyword term people are searching on- you do this by
      a) writing a hub focussed on a specific long-tail - some are easier than others - "diet" is almost impossible "loose 5 pounds before summer" may be easier (but stil lots of competition) "diet for women who are allergic to milk products" may be better (not sure its not one of my niches) - the idea is specific is better
      b) then you need to get backlinks that anchor your keyword e.g."diet for women who are allergic to milk products" I wrote a brief guide to getting backlinks here

2. jyuva profile image38
    jyuvaposted 7 years ago

Read this thread about  backlinks

3. guidebaba profile image60
    guidebabaposted 7 years ago

Backlinks are links that point towards your hub / website / blog etc. Backlinks are extremely important when it comes to SEO. If you want your Hub / Blog / Site to rank high in search engine results, you should make sure that your have some good backlinks.