jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Identifying a commentator?

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image96
    Gcrhoads64posted 3 years ago

I have a hub about "The Tea Party Community" website which received a comment purportedly by the website's founder, Ken Crowe. I was going to use the comment in the actual article, but I am not sure how to identify if the comment actually came from site's founder.
    Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to positively id a commentator?
    Thank you in advance.

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When in doubt, you can attempt to contact Ken Crowe directly through his website to see if he did, indeed, leave the comment. He might be willing to provide an even better quote for you to include in your article. smile

Gcrhoads64posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah, you are so wise, Simone. Thank you. smile

2. brianrock profile image89
      brianrockposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Based solely on the information from HubPages, I wouldn't say that there's any way to definitively prove that it was him. The IP address provided would help you estimate the geographic region he connected from, but that's circumstantial evidence at best.

I'd say the only way to be 100% sure that it was him is to find another way to contact him and then simply ask. He has a bio and e-mail address listed on the Tea Party Tribune website (http://www.teapartytribune.com/author/ken-crow/), so I would fire off a quick e-mail there and see what you get.

Awesome! Thanks, brianrock!

2. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

You can probably find out from which IP address the comment came from but not sure if you can find out if it came directly from him.

Thanks, lovebuglena. smile

3. FatFreddysCat profile image96
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

That's a toughie. A while ago I wrote a Hub about a band and got a "thank you" comment from somebody claiming to be the lead singer of said band. I never did find out if it really was them.

As Simone sez, the best thing you can do would be to contact the person directly via e-mail and ask them if it was them, otherwise you could simply leave a reply to the comment saying "Wow! Is it really you, (name)? Thanks for stopping by!"

Hmm, now I will have to search through your hubs to find that comment.  wink
      Thank you, FatFreddysCat.

4. Gcrhoads64 profile image96

Ok, I sent off an email to Mr. Crow. I'll let you know if I hear anything. smile

5. Gcrhoads64 profile image96

Wow, I received a response verifying that it was Ken Crow himself, and he even gave me his phone number!
    I'll probably be too chicken to call, though. smile

6. FlourishAnyway profile image94
    FlourishAnywayposted 3 years ago

Don't be chicken.  If this is what you were after, then rise to the occasion!  Do a minute of chit chat to gain trust.  Prepare yourself well with some brief, well-written questions.  Listen well.  Read back to him any important quotes to ensure you got it precisely right.  You'll likely find that it was easier than you thought.  Go for it!

Hi, FlourishAnyway.
      I didn't really want to be a reporter. I just wanted to pretend to be one on Hubpages!  wink
      Seriously though, I will ask him questions. I just have to narrow them down since I have so many.
      Thanks for your encouragement.

7. vistastores profile image60
    vistastoresposted 3 years ago

I agree with Gcrhoads64 :-B

working