Regarding Earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (40 posts)
  1. GwennyOh profile image91
    GwennyOhposted 11 years ago

I signed up with HubPages in January.  I posted my first article on the 18th.  Immediately I posted about 11 articles.  Since then I have posted a total of 21, all featured.  I realize that Google has been changing their algorithms and such.  But I haven't even hit two dollars earnings yet.  What am I doing wrong?

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nothing - it took me over a year to earn a dollar. I'm earning a lot more now! Just create quality articles and eventually you'll see traffic and hopefully earnings...

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you work for HP now, Simey? Your post is in yellow on my screen!

2. faithshore profile image80
      faithshoreposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally I have earned just about $2 with more than 20 articles since January. But I do not think you need 12 months or so to hit $50. If you concentrate on product lenses with the right amount of keyword searches and products costs, you will hit $50 per month within 2 or 3 months of consistent work. Heck you can even earn $100 per month with just a month of hard work if you know how to do things right, and this is very realistic. I can say this looking at my Squidoo earnings and type of pages. Here, almost all my articles are not sales targeted, and I'm thinking of changing that soon.

Also, if you concentrate solely on Hubpages, and you work from home online the whole day, you can publish around 10 general articles per day, which makes around 300 per month. If you write good sales articles instead, you will be able to create about 3 articles per day, making that 90 per month. So 21 is not a great number if you truly want to earn.

Hope I helped! smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The number of articles is not what is important.  What is important is whether you write good, correct content that covers subjects that attract readers.  I know one fellow here who gets 15,000 views a month on just one article...and he only has a total of 7 articles.  There are others I've heard of who get many more than that on just one article.  So you can do all the figuring you like...more hubs does not equal more money in most cases.

3. sleepylog profile image62
      sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

GwennyOh, it's important that you promote you hubs on other sites in order to get links pointing to them. Sites like Pinterest, Stumble Upon, Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, Red Gage, Reddit are a good place to start. Non HP forums are also good places and while many don't allow posting links in comments, they do allow you to use a link as your signature (those are good enough as far as Google is concerned). Text links are better than just plain URL links but anything is better than nothing. Avoid posting a links in forums that aren't related to the hub it's pointing to as this will be seen as a spammy  link and will go against your website in search results.

Also avoid reciprocal links and stay well clear of websites that charge you for a link to your site, those links will go against your hub's google ranking.

I've also noticed three of your hubs don't have ads in them, I'm not sure why that is but maybe you opted to turn ads off in those. They are: the two hubs about 'A safer world for women' and the hub about herpes simplex.

2. GwennyOh profile image91

Ouch, I can't edit the title, that was meant to say earnings, lol.  Not earrings.

GwennyOhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see;

Thanks for the insight SimeyC.  I appreciate getting some idea of how it works.

2. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fixed the title for ya. wink

SimeyC is right on. It takes most of us over 12 months to start getting regular payouts. But man, it's nice getting 'em once they come!

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a question. I asked this somewhere else, but I have misplaced that thread. lol

I made about 2$ last month and I thought we had to wait til we hit 10$ for a payout. Does that mean we have to hit 10$ per month? Will I never see that money?

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although Amazon payout (direct deposit in the US) is $10 minimum, HPads is higher at $50.

Both are cumulative, however - it just keeps adding up each month until that maximum amount is finally reached, whereupon it is paid and you  generously share it with all those that have answered your question. smile

*edit* Except Psycheskinner - she cheated and got the answer in before I did.

Actually not quite right - you share it with everyone in the thread - but it's proportional - the person who answers first gets the most....ohhhh that's me!

Get back, Simey!  This is my nwebie to ripoff...ah...help out!  Yes, help is the term. big_smile

2. profile image0

haha, ok... send me your address... Ill send you a generous percentage.

Hmm.  Not sure I'm liking that "generous" bit.  Hard numbers are so much more...informative..you know.  Numbers like 75% or 90%, but only for the first dozen or so payouts.  After that you should probably keep them for yourself.

1. profile image0

Im a word person... Aren't I lucky you're handling the math part for me!

3. dwachira profile image79
            dwachiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@wilderness, [whereupon it is paid and you  generously share it with all those that have answered your question] This is why i love threads, having to sleep with a smile smile

smile  Glad to be of service.  A little levity never hurts, does it?

3. VVanNess profile image76
      VVanNessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seeing as how you're only making a very small amount of $$ per view, I've done the math to see how many articles, and how much traffic, I will need in order to truly begin making money. With only 21 articles under your belt so far, I would not be concerned with your earning quite yet.

By working on producing a good number of quality Hubpages articles, soon your traffic to each of those will multiply, along with your credibility, and your Hubber Score, and soon you'll be making a ton more. Keep up the good work and I promise it will pay off.

1. profile image0

Well it might have paid off before wilderness got to her.

3. mr-veg profile image60
    mr-vegposted 11 years ago

I thought $50 is the minimum not $10, one day you will reach there smile

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It is cumulative, you don't need to make any amount per month. You get paid when you have $50 or more.

1. profile image0

Oh wonderful... so it could take me 50 years (and it will) but that money will still be there? Ok... thanks! smile

5. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

Hi Gwenny I have to respectfully disagree with Simey and Simone, as I do not think it should take you that long. You DO, however, need to write a lot more articles. 20 hubs in your first three months is not going to do it. You also need to make a lot more comments on other hubs so that hubbers who write similar material will visit and follow you.
    You also need to share your hubs on Pinterest, Facebook, or other social media sites. Read some forum posts about changing your titles to make them more search engine friendly, and take a look at the title tuner on your HP stat page.
    You have some interesting hubs so I think you will be able to attract more readers!

"as I do not think it should take you that long"
      The question was whether she was doing anything wrong. Some people earn $50 in the first month with one hub, some take years to earn that. For me it took me a year to start earning and I had far more than 100 hubs. So in that respect she's doing nothing wrong.

A lot depends on the type of article and ensuring that the article is top quality - some articles takea  long time to mature - I have many articles that are two years old that are now just seeing traffic - in highly competitive niches it can take a long time to see any traction....

Of course you are right that she can improve her traffic by looking into SEO, titles, key words, key phrases, link juice etc. to get more traffic, but that in itself is not a guarantee especially if the niche is 'full'....

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simey, the question was "what am I doing wrong?" Usually when people ask what they are doing wrong they would like to find out how to do better. People who would like to do better dont just want to be told "it is okay, do not worry about it".
        The hints I provided to her were from yourself, Marisa, wilderness, and other useful hubbers on the forums. Being told "the niche is full" seems like another way of saying "quit trying".
        It may take a hundred hubs before you find that one that goes to the top of the search engines quickly, so the best answer is "keep trying".

6. GwennyOh profile image91

I see a variety of responses and advice, all received and being processed within.  Thanks so much for all responses so far.  I know a lot more now than I did before!

7. rebthomas profile image80
    rebthomasposted 11 years ago

no no the newbie that answers last gets it.......ohhhhhh that's me:<)

8. daydreams profile image93
    daydreamsposted 11 years ago

I've published 16 hubs and have made the equivalent of about $2 through adsense...but that is mostly through 2 people who clicked on my ads (yay)...I have only had about 1000 views in total. I reckon to earn decent money you need at least 10 times that if not more...

9. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Ive had about 4700 views since Dec... however Im worried that about 4650 are me editing my own work. sad

GwennyOhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too have wondered how many views were my own.  Probably best we don't know, lol! smile

1. profile image0

We might stop writing all together.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you go on to Google Analytics you can see the actual number of views you get each day.  These are real views, and do not include your edits, etc.

1. profile image0

How does one do that? lol

On your stats page, click earnings. Scroll down to "reporting settings" and click the configure button to set up Google Analytics.  Although it will take several days to several weeks to gather data on your account, it is a fascinating place to learn about what is going on in your subdomain.

1. profile image0

Ok, I think I did it... or I generated some sort of tracking system for lost pets in the US... Im not sure.
                Thanks wilderness.

2. dwachira profile image79
              1. profile image0

Thank you!

1. dwachira profile image79

Welcome, waiting for my generous share too! smile

10. Parallels profile image65
    Parallelsposted 11 years ago

You should do keyword research so more people can find your writing using search engines. I like to use Google's Adwords keyword tool for this using the "exact match" option.

https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/ … WORD_IDEAS

Go for keywords/phrases that have at least 500 local searches and are low to medium competition. It takes some patience, but it really pays off if you learn how to use it. Hope this helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)