jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)

IMPLEMENTED CHANGE: Word count for Progress Bar

1. GinnyLee profile image91
    GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago

This is really not a big deal, but I am curious why there are two separate word counts for hubs.  I am editing a hub and the new feature shows a word count of 1287.  When I click on "done editing" and then look at the word count under the "stats/hub metrics" it shows 1325.  I suspect that one is counting the words in the amazon and ebay capsules, but I am not sure.

Like I said, this isn't a big deal, but I am curious of the cause of the difference.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7873872_f248.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7873873_f248.jpg

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure, GinnyLee, but I'm checking with our team members who are more likely to know! I imagine the cause is not far from what you surmise.

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nice to see all the checkmarks filled in.  I think it helps.

1. GinnyLee profile image91
        GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We will find out.  I sure hope it does.

3. Stormy1990 profile image81
      Stormy1990posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've noticed this fluke to, when I published a hub that had lots of content in the amazon module's description. The word  count within the hub metrics says the article is only 293 words long, and when I'm editing it says it has 331 words. Yet when I copy and paste all the content i have written into word I get a total of 719, which is a good sized article.

What's happening here is that the hubpage word counter doesn't count the word in the amazon modules. It doesn't really bother me that much because I do know that google sees this content, but it still would be nice if the amazon module text would be counted also. smile

4. dashingme profile image75
      dashingmeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This also bothers me and make me confuse why was that? I'll follow this forum if there is answer.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We have changed the way we do words counts so the two values should now match.

2. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I've noticed that, too. I thought it was because the summary is not included in the published word count. I've not checked.

3. Howard S. profile image83
    Howard S.posted 4 years ago

Some capsules count; others don't; and some count in what can only be described as a buggy manner. I got it all figured out for the "old" stats count, but gave up when I noticed the "new" one in edit mode counts differently.

4. profile image0
    delleaposted 4 years ago

What I prefer to do is compose my hubs offline in OpenOffice (or Word, whatever you choose). Do a word count in the word processor to get a close approximation of the total count (as it would include titles). Then, I copy the entire article from the word processor and paste it into Notepad... I do this to strip any special formatting that might look weird in my hub. Finally, I go into HubPages, start a new hub, and copy and paste each title and section from Notepad into the cells within the hub as I want them laid out. I know this sounds like a lot of work, however I've been blogging and working on website content for years, and following this procedure ensures that the final posted web content is as concise and free of spelling mistakes as possible, and again, it also lets you see a real word count.

1. Stormy1990 profile image81

I don't use this program personally because I don't have a mac, but if you do  have one here's a program I'd personally use: http://www.iawriter.com/mac/
      It keeps track of your word count and is pretty much like Notepad, and it helps keep you focused. Just a suggestion!

1. dashingme profile image75

hey how do you use this? just curiouse, idea

How do you do what? Post a link, or buy iawriter? If you're asking about iawriter, I haven't actually used it, it's just that I'd like to but don't have a Mac computer. smile

If you're asking about posting a link, just copy and paste the link. DON'T SPAM! AND NO AFFILIATE LINKS! I'll flag them when I see spammy links. ok?

1. dashingme profile image75

well ofcourse im asking about the link you posted on how you use it. I thought you already use it. anyways thank you.

Welcome! smile

5. daydreams profile image91
    daydreamsposted 4 years ago

I noticed the same thing yesterday, there was a difference of about 50 words. It doesn't really both me, just seems odd.

6. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I noticed that the internal count includes only text capsule content.  Perhaps the outside one counts photo descriptions, link modules etc.

7. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

When I look under hub stats in my account I don't see any word counts for hubs displayed there. Where do you find that information?

8. SAM ELDER profile image76
    SAM ELDERposted 4 years ago

I was thinking about it as well... I guess some capsules are responsible for extra words... not sure

Closed to reply

working