jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

HubPages Giveth And HubPages Taketh Away

1. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 3 years ago

My feelings have been hurt.  I love HubPages and have spent time commenting, creating, writing, casually reading and using HubPages as a resource for research each and every day.  And during a time when I have experienced a death in the family, a grandchild in the hospital and even some technical difficulties my rating as a commenter has been lowered a couple of times.  I feel belittled and I wonder who would be interested in listening to and/or reading Hubs from an author who has been with HubPages for some time but has low ratings.  All of the conscientious work, comments and time spent enjoying HubPages began earning  me some very appreciated and well deserved ratings although has also guaranteed me some ratings from HubPages that have been lowered for no reason (in my opinion).  Low ratings could mean that my comments make no sense or are completely off topic and I truly feel belittled.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't give it a second thought.  I'm fairly well certain that most people reading hubs don't care what level a commenter has.  I have no idea what level commenter I am, it doesn't matter at all.  I think most of us read hubs that interest us, with no regard to the author's accolades.  smile

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

I don't mean to downplay your concerns, but it seems like you're a little too worried about an accolade that's mostly meant just for fun.  Nobody is going to care what level you are if you are leaving kind and insightful comments, and writing good Hubs.  Most people won't even look at your accolades. 

People will be just as happy to receive your comments and read your Hubs as they were before. Don't stress yourself out. smile

3. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

I have made all my accolades private (even though I have 12 of the things) because I feel the system is illogical, unfair and divisive.

Thus, when I comment on a hub, there is no indication at all of my commenter level. When I get comments on my hubs, I do not even look at commenter level of the people giving them. I respond to comments that are useful or pleasant and delete rude and/or illiterate ones. The comment itself is the sole criterion for how I judge it.

4. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. Your frequency of comments must be way down with all that's happening in your life right now. The frequency is a big determinant (if not the only one) that counts in your rating. That rating means nothing anyway. It just shows how active you are in HP.

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 3 years ago

Your rating as a commentor has zero bearings on your web traffic, earnings, or what Google thinks of your Hubs.  Many successful authors on this site spend little to no time commenting on other Hubs.

You should be spending time with your family, not worrying about gamification on a website.

6. baja2013 profile image74
    baja2013posted 3 years ago

I believe all these rates, acolates and scores are just for statistic and not an emotional use.
    I thought to write "just for fun" but changed my mind. smile
    Don't worry about it. It just shows whether you are often here or not.
    Cheer up and write some special!

7. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 3 years ago

Thank you all for your sincere thoughts and a much needed smile.

Enjoy HubPages, I will and enjoy a beautiful day.

1. To Start Again profile image84
      To Start Againposted 3 years ago in reply to this

ps- you might want to fix the link on your profile page-it isn't linking...

8. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

I've seen a few comments from hubbers who were labled 'high level' that were just generic. The author of the hub isn't going to care what level you are commenting at if the comment is crap. Anyone can write a million "nice hub" comments but its the insightful and spirited ones that really count.  The level or the accolade means nothing to  the author or at least it shouldn't.

9. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 3 years ago

twilanelson:  I can certainly understand your shock and dismay at a plummeted hubscore; I experienced much the same when I was away and returned.  It wasn't a long absence, either.  I couldn't believe it and my pride was wounded.  I equated the hubscore with the image I held as a writer and was embarrassed that I had been brought down to the 80's.  In fact, no matter how much I have tried, it hasn't returned to the 90's.  I eventually had to come to the realization that it was eating me up with worry and for what?  It has no bearing on the kind of person I am, how I live my life or even my writing.  I know I write well and don't need proof of that. 

As the other (90+) hubbers have mentioned:  let it go; don't focus on that score and continue to write good quality hubs; and focus on your income.  My hubs, despite my score, have been bringing in more money these last two months than ever before...I certainly can't complain about that!

10. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love that PS. Im gonna try to remember that one in the future.