HP should consider detailing the reasons for idling hubs

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago

Recently I've been having increasing problems with hubs being idled almost as soon as I've put them online.  I have a hard time figuring out what I've done wrong.  Sometimes I can figure it out, sometimes I cannot.  The result is that I wind up demolishing a really good hub that is getting loads of reads just to get it published.  I have written the team about this issue, but now want to hear your views.  Don't you think that knowing exactly what it is that one has done wrong would greatly help us to fix any problems and thus turn hubs into better articles?

1. Simone Smith profile image93
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Because we do not have a means by which Mechanical Turk raters provide specific comments on why they gave their Hub a low rating for one set of criteria, there is unfortunately no means by which we can explain why a Hub did not get sufficient quality ratings to be featured.

In most cases, there is not actually a specific 'cause' aside from a Hub, on a broad level, just not being good enough (which is to say that the Hub may be good, but it simply isn't thorough, polished, and unique enough to qualify for being Featured).

We have raised our quality standards quite a bit, so it is definitely harder to have Hubs Featured now, and I apologize for any frustration this has caused.

That said, we earnestly believe that by upping the minimum quality ratings required for Hubs to be featured, we can significantly increase the quality of our site and help it get more traffic (which means Hubbers get more traffic, earnings, and readership).

Welp... I've had my say at least. I know I haven't really given any clear solutions, but hopefully I've helped to explain why things are the way they are.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree totally that we need stiffer standards, but without knowing  specifically what is wrong with hubs, it is very hard to know what to fix.  In my case, I know it is not grammar, spelling or structure, number of words, lack of photos, etc.  It seems that I am being penalized if my title does not exactly match the content in every capsule that is within a hub.  I personally feel this is carrying things a bit too far.  If I write a good quality hub and want to embellish it with extra, slightly off topic, information, why should I be penalized?  I believe this is what is happening, but without knowing for certain, it is impossible to say.  What happens is that I start deleting capsules until I wind up with a bland, substandard hub that gets published but immediately loses views.  This week, for example, I wrote a hub that got 70 views in two days.  Now that I've "fixed" it, I have zero views for today.  Is this what you folks really want to see?  I hope not!  I spend a lot of time reworking hubs to improve them, but sometimes wonder why I should even bother.  My hubber score is always in the 90's, sometimes the high 90's, so obviously I am doing something right.  Yet...the great majority of my views are low.  With 132 articles I certainly should be getting more than 200 views daily.  Either I am missing something or I'm way off base with my thinking here.  Any input from you would be greatly appreciated.