jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

My recent hub posts have lower ratings?

1. 0
    delleaposted 3 years ago

Since I started in HubPages, all of my hubs have scored at least 70 and were featured after they were approved. I've started a new hub series on how fellow hubbers can get more traffic to their hubs, starting with this one http://dellea.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-g … ges-Part-1 and they started out in the mid 40's. Is this because so many people have already written on this topic, or has the quality of my writing declined in some way? Any advice on these from seasoned hubbers out there?

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

A couple weeks back we did two things:
      1. Change the manner in which we calculate HubScore to incorporate quality ratings
      2. Increase the minimum quality rating threshold required for a Hub to become Featured

These changes will probably explain the change in HubScore and Featured status you have experienced; no need to worry about a decline in your own Hubbing abilities!

To be on the safe side, we now recommend shooting for the descriptions matching an eight+-rated Hub per our quality rating scale: http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Hope that helps!

2. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are experiencing the "norm" as of recent times on HubPages.  Go figure.

2. 0
    delleaposted 3 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate it!

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome! Patience, here on HubPages, seems to be the best way to go, lol. smile  Good luck and happy hubbing! smile

3. Parallels profile image82
    Parallelsposted 3 years ago

All of my hubs seem to start around 50 and work their way up to the 70s as they mature. Being new here I always assumed that was normal.

4. janderson99 profile image85
    janderson99posted 3 years ago

Here's my take on hubscore, and how it changes over time, based on anecdotal experience from publishing a lot of hubs.

=> Step One - When the hub is published, before being QAPed, it is assigned an initial value - unsure how this is set, but it varies a lot from 45 to 75, say with no rhyme nor reason.
    => Step Two - 3-4 days after being Featured, the hub is assigned a new score, say 75. This is probably close to the QAP score for the hub (out of 30) re-scaled as a percentage. Hubber score may also contribute.
    => Step Three - This is a modifier phase based on traffic and love (likes, votes, comments etc.). If the hub gets good traffic and is loved the score goes up to 91 say. If the hub gets poor traffic and is unloved the score may gradually decline to 65 say.

That's how it works based on my experience.

Start #45, 3 days after QAP #75, then days or months later goes up to #90 if loved, down  to #65 if unloved.

If you edit a hub that gets Idled for low traffic (score will generally be low 64 say) the hub score gets a boost from 64 say to 75 as a reprieve for the low traffic downgrade. The hub score then gets modified again according to traffic.
    This appears to offer

1. 0
      delleaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Excellent! I greatly appreciate it when fellow hubbers help me out (versus flaming me)!

5. daydreams profile image93
    daydreamsposted 3 years ago

I had a hub I have started a few weeks ago, but have only got around to putting a photograph in - it's hubscore has ranged from 45 to 69 for no apparent reason (I haven't changed it, and no one else has seen it), so I don't think it means very much. I find that when I publish hubs they tend to move up into the 70s, and ones that get slightly more traffic get 80s. I assume to get a 90 I need more than a handful of people to view my hubs each day (hasn't happened so far)

6. Carola Finch profile image97
    Carola Finchposted 3 years ago

Don't worry about it.  I don't know for sure, but I think the initial score is based on the number of words and elements on the page.  I notice mine always start out low and increase as I get traffic and comments.

7. SAM ELDER profile image76
    SAM ELDERposted 3 years ago

Carola is right stop worrying about it. Scor will rise and drop on daily basis.

1. 0
      delleaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think that you're all correct, that I'm being too obsessive about my hub scores, etc... lately I've been watching my hub scores like the stock market, and I think I need to step back from that and focus more on writing instead of ratings.