jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

One of my hubs is getting spammed by strange and unrelated comments.

1. lafenty profile image77
    lafentyposted 4 years ago

I have been getting a lot of odd, inappropriate, and totally unrelated comments on one of my hubs.  I got 54 of them in one night and they have continued to come in over the past few days.  A couple of them have been full articles and stories.  Anything I can do to stop these guys? I denied them and deleted them forever, but still very annoying and a waste of my time.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

email team@hubpages.com and ask them to deal with it.

3. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

You can change the comment settings to allow only registered users to leave comments. When I did that for my hubs the bad spam stopped. I don't know if it stopped as a result of that but it did so I am assuming changing the settings helped.

1. Simone Smith profile image90
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's definitely the way to go. Thanks for sharing the tip, lovebuglena!

4. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

Of course doing that you limit the potential good comments from being left on your hubs since not everyone wants to register to leave a comment.

5. Healthy Pursuits profile image86
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

I found that the number of non-registered readers who left comments was minimal anyway. I was flooded with spam and changed my settings, and it was a huge relief.

6. Theophanes profile image92
    Theophanesposted 4 years ago

One of my Hubs went viral in a big way and between actual comments got a bunch of weird Gibberish and spam. My favorite was "Try VooDoo and fix relationship!" (My article was not a dating article.) Eventually it stopped on its own. I'll still get the odd comment once or so a month but I could care less at this point. You can change your comment settings and then change them back when things are calmed down... that's always an option.

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's interesting I've seen spam in comments on websites and wondered why. It seems popularity and traffic has the side effect of bring some spam.

7. lafenty profile image77
    lafentyposted 4 years ago

Thanks everyone.  I will change my settings.

8. yupperclub profile image76
    yupperclubposted 4 years ago

I'm sure you can change your names, your settings, your costumes, your images or anything else.  That's not going to change reality.  Time to face up.  Put your real image and real name and see what happens then.  LOVEBUGLER or whatever you GULES call yourselves.

9. yupperclub profile image76
    yupperclubposted 4 years ago

Sorry, must have commented on the wrong conversation.  Would not want to invade your privacy.  God Bless.

working