Still Steaming!

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 10 years ago

The idled hubs issue is still live so far as I am concerned. Some of my good pieces are idled. I am blessed (euphemism) if I am going to twiddle with them in hopes of being de-idled. I am far more likely to move them completely. I am leaving them here at the moment in hopes HP changes its policy.

In my Dave Digger identity eight of my ten hubs are idled , but one of the idled hubs has had eight hits in the last month. I think people read the two pieces that are not idled and then follow a link to my idled hub.

In my Charles James identity I watched a TV programme about Fairport Convention (a pop/folk group) only to find mty  hub had neen idled so there was no chance of viewings.

If I am prescient about future events like say a royal baby or the anniversary of something I am likely to find my hub idled. There needs to be an appeal mechanism!

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Charles James.

I appreciate your concern and apologize for any inconvenience. We will not be changing our Featured Hub policies, but I do encourage you to have a go at updating some of your Hubs that may not be Featured, as it can improve their long term traffic prospects (and not just their prospects of being Featured on HubPages). You are, of course, more than welcome to move them to another platform, too- just wanted to say we'd love to see those Hubs get more attention.

Our appeal mechanism involves editing the Hub and incorporating improvements. When a Hub is changed, it is once again evaluated by the QAP. If the quality ratings were inaccurate the first time, editing a Hub will effectively submit it for another review (and likely more accurate ratings).

We do not mean to penalize people by not Featuring Hubs; we hope to give them an opportunity to see what is and is not working and what can stand to be improved. We also hope to only showcase the best of the best to improve the site's overall traffic prospects (and therefore the overall traffic prospects of our authors).

Some tips on how to update a Hub to improve its odds of being Featured are here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

I hope that helps to dispel some of your concerns!

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Simone, can you answer a question for me also?  I often find that a hub will be featured/idled all on its own and often the status will change when I've not touched it.  It happens very often that my featured/idled hubs change frequently, but if I let it ride, the status may change.  As a result, I haven't found myself panicking too much at the sight of an idled hub because when I look again later, it's been featured again.

Am I imagining things?

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are not imagining.  I've got one hub that regularly pops in and out of being featured.  It appears that one factor may be your hubber score - when it goes up near 100 the hub may be featured - when it drops to around 90 the hub goes back to idle.

Plus all the other factors like traffic, of course.

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting...I actually have experienced a drop in my hubber score recently, and that's when I took note of a featured hub being idled and vice versa.  And now that I'm thinking about it...I wonder if the hubber score matters (if it actually does) because they feature hubs in those categories from hubbers with higher scores than mine at a particular time....sorta rotating the good stuff?

That suggestion came from another thread but who really knows?  It is certainly possible but I don't have any inside knowledge! smile

2. Charles James profile image66
        Charles Jamesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If I put time into upgrading the 50 or so idled hubs, and they are unidled, is that it? Or will HP start idling them again after a few weeks?
        I am so upset by this that I find it very hard to write any new hubs.

If they don't see any traffic they will probably be idled over time, yes.  They are, I think, very unlikely to be idled again for quality reasons, if that's even what it was this time.

If it's low traffic causing the problem, though, what real difference does it make if they are idled or featured?  They aren't getting traffic while featured, so there is none to lose anyway.

2. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 10 years ago

I have serious reservations about the HP view of "quality".
    I am prepared to swallow these reservations and jump through the HP hoops but I want to know that "quality" (as defined by HP) hubs will not then be idled because not enough people are reading them.
    The difference idling makes is that if people cannot find my hubs they cannot read them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)