jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Movie pictures

1. WhiteMuse profile image82
    WhiteMuseposted 3 years ago

I notice people that have featured hubs up having used the pictures showing movies. They are not their pictures unless they somehow have them from the movie. They are not in public domain that I know of if they are recent movies. I try and look and see if I can use the picture. How is it okay that they use them? Is there somewhere else that they get them from? I know some other sites list them as free pictures but I think they are not really free to use.

1. WhiteMuse profile image82
      WhiteMuseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is also because then I am supposed to add pictures but I could not because I am only supposed to add ones that I have a right to. The others I used were in public domain.

2. To Start Again profile image83
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

some may use them without permission. I wouldn't recommend that.
    You can try photobucket. Or search for free pictures on bing or google

1. Simone Smith profile image91
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I second that.

Some use movie screenshots arguing "Fair Use", but the argument is thin should they have ads on their Hubs. In such cases, crying "Fair Use" is just asking for trouble.

3. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

Movie companies release many photos for "publicity use", so I use certain things, like movie posters, in contexts where I'm promoting the film (or try to). That's the intent of the photo. However, misuse of a movie publicity still, can infringe on copyright. There's no "fair use" on screen shot.

4. crankalicious profile image87
    crankaliciousposted 3 years ago

I tend to lean toward movie posters for certain things because the intent of using a film poster is, by definition, a promotion of the film. If you have a business called "Jaws" and you're using a Jaws poster, then that's a violation of copyright.

working