jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Can people outside the HubPages community "follow" our hubs?

1. Carola Finch profile image98
    Carola Finchposted 4 years ago

Had an outside person say they wanted to "follow" me, but said that th link did not work.  Do people have to be members of the community to follow each other?

1. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think they can follow you from HP unless they're a member. But I think you can create an RSS feed which you can send to them and they can subscribe to your hubs. There's a hub (not mine) about creating an RSS feed for your hubs (I'm not going to post a link, because I don't think we're supposed to): Paul Maplesden "Get Repeat Readers To Your Hubpages By Using an RSS Feed". I subscribe to this Hubber's Hubs via email.

2. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There used to be a way for visitors to subscribe to you but not sure if the feature is still there. They can't actually follow you the way members do but they will be alerted each time you post a new hub. Thanks for posting this. I need to go check on it.

The RSS feed is not there anymore but as NateB11 says, maybe they can create their own RSS feed of your hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure why HubPages got rid of the RSS feed, but I'm guessing it might have been to discourage scraping.

1. Cardisa profile image92
          Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's probably right Marisa. smile

2. janderson99 profile image85
        janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Weirdly the RSS feed still works

Just add  /hubs/latest?rss  to your profile!!
        I suspect the RSS engine was commandeered to run the bloody 'Related Search' Ads

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps Janderson, you are right!

2. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago
  3. Michael Willis profile image80
    Michael Willisposted 4 years ago

In the Yahoo homepage, you can add a RSS feed in a content capsule by adding the link into the RSS when asked for.

4. Healthy Pursuits profile image86
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

You can also create a fan page on fb and post your hubs on that. Anyone who likes your fan page will get your hp posts and any other writing links that you choose to post from different sites. For example, if you write for HP, Squidoo, Wizzley, etc. and post them all on your fan page, anyone who likes it will get those posts in the daily feed.

The reason you would create a fan page is if you wanted to keep your writing separate from your other fb posts. For example, I'm pretty political on my personal fb page, but I'm not in my writing. I just found out about this option from another hubber, and I think it's a perfect way to separate my health and history writing from my personal posts.

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
      Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I post them to the timeline and wondered if they are visible do you know, if I send them to a friend is this visible...thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image86
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you posted your HP link to your timeline, anyone who's a friend can see it. It your post is successful, your link will usually show the picture in your hub.

5. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 4 years ago

Healthy Pursuits that's a nice tip you are sharing with us... I will sure make my FB fanpage where I can post not only my hubs but also my other writing related thing...

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image86
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

Thanks. I plan to do that, too. It wasn't my idea, though. Wish I could remember who wrote it. It was on one of the forums.

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 4 years ago

I have lots of people from outside HP following me...the IRS,the guys in the white jackets,Oh,and my EX...she's the only one with a gun though...

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image86
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A veritable parade!  lol

8. yupperclub profile image78
    yupperclubposted 4 years ago

I'm not sure, but I think to OFFICIALLY follow you publicly the individual(s) must have their own HubPages account.

9. yupperclub profile image78
    yupperclubposted 4 years ago

Of course the OFFICIALS can follow you...but for the public to OFFICIALLY  follow you I believe you must open an account.

working