jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Are Video hubs hurting your chances of getting traffic?

1. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 3 years ago

I have come to the realization that if you create a video hub about a subject which is supposed to be an article then your chances of the hub showing up in search is greatly reduced.

For instance, one of my Jamaican hubs. When people are searching for Jamaica stuff they don't search for videos, they search for articles to read about Jamaica, unless it's music. That means my hubs with all my great information will get left behind because they are featured as video hubs and not an articles.

Video hubs which should do well are "how to" and some "recipes". I believe anything else will not do so well.

Is anyone else experiencing low traffic for video hubs? Your ideas please.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 3 years ago

I think the greatest liability of the video Hubs is the auto-play orientation of the videos.  It's been well-documented for years that web visitors absolutely hate that.

I think if HubPages switched that off, it would really improve the situation.

Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is very annoying that even when editing the hub it would auto play. Thanks Relache.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

I'm not a fan of video in lieu of text, unless there's some sort of specific reason for it (such as a newscast).  I don't click on search results that are pure video when I search for information on topics.  Also, if I click on a video by accident, I usually close it out immediately.

As for using video to augment a hub, I definitely agree with that strategy.  It would be interesting to see the number of views videos in hubs (internally) get compared to views as a whole.  It would also be interesting to compare the traffic comparable hubs get when one is a video hub and the other is not.

Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My point exactly Marcy. People don't usually search for videos when looking for information and if they need to see a video, they go straight to Youtube. I don't' click on videos when searching articles either and usually close when if I accidentally do.

I deleted two of my video hubs today and am contemplating deleting another.

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 3 years ago

I am shortly going to setup a new account to test out this very theory.

I think currently even with auto-play, video hubs are very under-utilized on Hubpages.