jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Telling a friend's story but copying it to share it with permission.

1. Kasman profile image90
    Kasmanposted 4 years ago

I have a friend from New Zealand who is going through what I would term a medical "hell on earth" right now and I wanted to share her story here as a hub. Most of it would be written in her own words and I wanted to copy it from her blog and share. She has given me permission but I'm not sure how the moderators would feel about this. I'm trying to do the right thing while still staying within the purview of the TOS. I would appreciate an answer to figure all of this out.

1. Simone Smith profile image91
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey Kasman- you're more than welcome to re-tell your friend's story with permission, but all of the content has to be original. We do not allow content on HubPages that has been published elsewhere online.

I'm sorry your friend is going through such tough times!

Kasmanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Simone. I appreciate the reply and the lament.

2. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I'm not for sure, Kasman, but I would think that you would run the risk of getting moderated for duplicate content. Your hub with her exact words would be published at the same time as her blog, unless she took down her blog. Maybe if you interviewed her and placed links to her blog within your text, that would avoid any duplicate content issues.

3. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Hi again, Kasman. I just coincidentally stumbled upon a hub that may be of help to you. Sorry, I couldn't get the link using my Kindle. The hub is "Avoiding duplicate hub content" by relache. She breaks down  the difference between duplicate content and copied content and the mistakes hubbers make unknowingly. I hope it answers your question.

Thank you so much Janshares. I'm going to go and check it out!

1. lobobrandon profile image82
        lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that:

Firstly - duplicate content, whether you've got permission or not; it's not allowed. You can't even post articles from your own sites, let alone that of your friend.

Secondly - A blog post is sought of personal and personal stuff isn't allowed on HP. They do mention that they're not a blog and hence you wouldn't be able to do it.

Thanks alot for your reply lobobrandon

4. Carola Finch profile image98
    Carola Finchposted 4 years ago

I use stories in some of my hubs, but they are in my own words.  I only use stories to illustrate the points I want to make, i.e. how to help a hurting person, etc. or to share what I learned from that life experience.

I think that's what has to happen here carola, I appreciate your reply.

working