jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

Copied Content with a catch

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago

I have just found one of my recipes on a website.  1 photo and the entire text copied word for word. 

The catch is that the person puts a disclaimer at the top of each page saying that he/she does not own the recipes, just showing them and there is a link to my hub, but at the very bottom, after the entire recipe has been posted so there really is no reason for people to click on it.

I would not have a problem, if this person would only publish a small piece of the recipe and then direct traffic to my hub, but that is not the case.

There is an area on the website where we can request that it be removed, but this person asks for name, address, phone which I am not going to give him/her.

Not sure what I can do in a case like this.

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I should clarify that this person did not copy the opening text, only the complete recipe and instructions.

2. Simone Smith profile image90
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Fun / interesting copyright fact of the day: recipes themselves cannot be copyrighted; only collections can.

That said, you can still fight for introductory text that is yours and an original image that was stolen to be taken down- those are definitely not 'takeable'. big_smile

Thanks Simone!

2. relache profile image86
        relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not true.  On their own cooking ingredient lists cannot be copyright-protected but cooking instructions, descriptions and explanations CAN, even if they are a sole recipe and not part of a collection.
        http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

If you want to file a formal notice of infringement, you have to include all that info anyway, so take your pick of disclosing it to the site owner, the hosting service or Google.

1. theraggededge profile image93
          theraggededgeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Lists of ingredients cannot be copyright, but the method is because it is a piece of original writing.

Don't give your details GTF, but just leave a comment requesting it be taken down or you will be going directly to the hosting company AND Google to file DMCAs. They are easily done and usually effective. If the blog is a Google property then you can get rid of it in one go.

Oops... I seem to have repeated everything you said, Relache, sorry smile

2. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95

Thanks to all.

1. tillsontitan profile image91
            tillsontitanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'd feel safer giving my information to Google or the DMCA than someone who just stole my work!

This is a tricky situation in that on the top of his blog he has a disclaimer that the recipes are not his, just a compilation.  He also does provide a link to the recipe (at the bottom of each recipe) and the photo attribution goes back to my profile page.  The issue is that he provides the entire recipe which means no one is going to click on that link to see it since it's already provided.

He has many recipes from big time websites.  Unfortunately it is taking away from my traffic (especially pinterest).  Not sure what to do about this one.

1. tillsontitan profile image91
                tillsontitanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is a tricky one for sure.  Have you tried contacting him and asking him to move the link to the beginning instead of the end?

2. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Neither his disclaimer nor his link give any right whatsoever to reproduce the work verbatim.  It is still theft, legally and ethically, and should be treated as such.  Not tricky at all, although the fact that it is a recipe IS a little tricky.

This is much like you copying a book and selling it for profit.  You say at the beginning that it isn't your work, that you just copied it for money, and at the bottom you say the author's work can also be purchased at Amazon.  Your disclaimer and alternate location in no way relieves you of being a thief.

3. relache profile image86
                relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The only person this content thief has tricked is you... if you think that his disclaimer in any way impedes you from exercising your legal right to defend your copyright.

2. cloverleaffarm profile image70
    cloverleaffarmposted 3 years ago

Can you leave a comment on it, and actually thank them for sharing. This would let people know that it is yours!

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago

Well - I seem to be answering my own question here, but have been looking around online and it seems that, in general, recipes are not copyrighted according the the US copyright office.  However it does add other lingo about some of the text being copyrighted.

4. theodoresumrall profile image59
    theodoresumrallposted 3 years ago

Why does s/he ask you for your personal information?

5. tillsontitan profile image91
    tillsontitanposted 3 years ago

While this person is apparently a thief or very lazy, I think your first step would be to appeal to them through comments on theie website where your recipe appears.

6. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

The disclaimer is irrelevant, send a take down notice.

working