jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Could we change the watermark citeria for videos?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago

I write health articles, and sometimes the news programs or medical shows will have a video that I would like to use. Naturally, they want their brand on what they've produced. This doesn't interfere with the information that's being given, and it usually isn't overdone. It's not like a photo where the watermark is over the whole surface to prevent copyright infringement.

Surely, health articles are not the only type of video that is useful but has a small logo in the corner - I can imagine all kinds of news video segments that are also useful.

I feel that these aren't bad videos to use. Is it possible to change the watermark criteria to allow them?

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know it can be a bother- I'll bring up the potential policy change in this week's community meeting and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for bringing this up! big_smile

1. Simone Smith profile image92
        Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey Healthy Pursuits!

This goes to show how clueless I am about some of our moderation policies: as it happens, channel watermarks (those subtle watermarks that typically appear at the bottom left corner of the screen) are permitted in videos that are embedded via the Video Capsule (though not on Videos hosted through HubPages).

Only giant watermarks that span across a video will get a Hub in trouble. So you should be OK!

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is odd as I have seen various cases in the forums where people got hit with a violation for channel markers, one was the BBC promo for the new series of Dr Who.  Maybe some of the moderators didn't know this either?

1. LCDWriter profile image93
            LCDWriterposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Right, I was one that got hit because there was a BBC logo on my video.  When I took it out the warning went away so it was that video causing the issue. 

It was in the video capsule and it was an official BBC video.

I have stopped using a log of videos because of the experience and that I don't want to delay publication of my hubs because of possible (even if wrongly marked) issues with it.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
          Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Simone. I noticed that my hub was published. So it had made it through the moderation OK. It's good to know, as I had one quite some time back that was hit for a news channel logo.

If it ever happens again, I'll email the HubPages team. In the meantime, I'll feel good about using news videos from reputable sources.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago

Thank you, Simone. I've just published a hub that shows the problem. The video is from ABC News.
    http://healthypursuits.hubpages.com/hub … rt-Attacks

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

I agree that I would be great to revisit this policy.  There may be videos that are purely infomercials, and of course those would be too promotional. But there are many videos with legitimate logos (even from non-profits) that we end up avoiding.  The urls or logos are unobtrusive, and actually help validate the integrity of the content.

4. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 3 years ago

I also would like to be able to use some videos on health, but all of the reputable sources have their logo in the videos.

5. LCDWriter profile image93
    LCDWriterposted 3 years ago

Yes, I ran into this very issue when trying to post BBC previews for Doctor Who episodes.  They are official previews from the BBC website but because they have a BBC logo on them, it sets off the triggers.  In this case, though, a logo and watermark should be marked as different. Or maybe there could be an exception for videos.

working