jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Just Curious... Can your number dip into negative numbers?

1. ChrisJawalka profile image59
    ChrisJawalkaposted 4 years ago

I have question...
    Can your profile score (or whatever the number on your picture is called) go into negative numbers? Mine was at 50 yesterday, and I've slowly watched it decline, and it's 2 and falling.

I comment, and politely on other people's hubs. I write hub's and (for the most part) get them published... Just wondering if my picture number, will go that low. My hub number is in the mid 50s, but that other one... weird... unless of course 1 is the goal... (lol that was a joke)

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image85
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think this is completely normal for a "newbie"; I almost had a panic attack when it happened to me. If you continue to be active it will come right back up until it gets to a number that is realistic.

I'd like to mention since I wasn't specific... my number went down to a zero and then started coming up... I've seen it happen to all new members. You can only go up from Zero :-)

ChrisJawalkaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the reply.
          And that was a very encouraging thought... 'only up from zero' LOL

I remembered thinking "Ah... what did I do?!!" But watching your score bounce back up because you're truly earning it, is almost worth the agony of watching it fall. Let's see what your number looks like a week or two from now :-)

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

What Cantuhearmescream said. smile

3. The Public Image profile image95
    The Public Imageposted 4 years ago

Agreed with the previous two answers. I joined this site 6 days ago, and watched my score plummet to something like a 2 the day before yesterday. I've written 11 blogs (all of which have been featured), answered questions, hopped Hubs and given feedback, left comments... and as of this writing, I'm back up to a 56.

I looked for answers in the forums and around the site, and I only found one indication from an official channel that this is normal for new Hubbers. Basically, everything you're doing in abundance right now would ordinarily hurt your HubberScore, and the system is programmed to follow that. But since you're a new writer, apparently once your score hits zero, the system re-calibrates somehow and within a few days of the ol' goose egg showing up, you should see your number start climbing again.

So don't panic! It's totally normal, apparently  :-)

4. Barbara Kay profile image87
    Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago

Chris, You posted in another hub that an article didn't get approved because they said it was duplicate content. That may have been what has taken your score so low. Just keep participating here and it will go right back up. I agree that having a high hub score is the result of participating in the forums, asking questions, publishing quality hubs, and commenting on the hubs of others.

Don't worry. Welcome to Hubpages.

5. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 4 years ago

There's a simple solution to always having a high hubber score. Just do what I do...take a majic marker and add a higher first number on your avatar. Mine atm is 97 cause I wrote in the 9 with a marker...or it would have been a 7...

ChrisJawalkaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LMAO...

6. RAHAR profile image81
    RAHARposted 4 years ago

@cheaptrick: Can you explain , what is a majic marker and how do we use it?

1. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You know...a felt tip marker full of ink. Just reach up on your screen and write what ever number you want...don't use a permanent marker though or you're stuck...

7. shielamaeparreno profile image82
    shielamaeparrenoposted 4 years ago

lol i like that idea cheaptrick. It's ok ChrisJawalka, so long as you're able to write, publish and even get featured. smile  Last week I've always looked forward to getting a higher score than the day before and got disappointed at some point - it didn't move for 3 straight days straight..went up after that. I stopped worrying after that.

Welcome to Hubpages!

8. ChrisJawalka profile image59
    ChrisJawalkaposted 4 years ago

Thank you to everyone who replied... I'm feeling much better about it now.
    It's very comforting to know I'm not the only one who has/had this problem.

1. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know it is weird suggestion but  try changing your picture, I recall someone else doing that and his Hub Score moved upwards.  Maybe it is a Google thing!!!

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sounds like a coincidence leading to a superstition?

1. sallybea profile image98
          sallybeaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maybe but would you not like to change your photo if it has a low number on it.  Who says it will come back with the same number on it.  You have to keep 'ahead' of the crowd..

working