jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Hub title spaces

1. evamaries profile image60
    evamariesposted 4 years ago

I am trying to write my first Hubpage.  I put in the title and I get two errors to fix one is "don't uses spaces in your web hub address"  the second is use more spaces.  When I do either one of them it will not take the address.  Can anyone tell me why?  Thx
    evamaries

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do not put in a URL address - HP will do it for you.  Just fill in the title.

2. Ceres Schwarz profile image19
      Ceres Schwarzposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can actually change the URL address of your hub, but that's only if you want to. And you really can't have spaces in the URL address. To separate the words, you just add dashes (-) so you can have something like yoursubdomain.hubpages.com/hub/my-new-hub as your URL address.

Alternatively, you can just leave your URL address as is because once you start typing your hub title in the hub title box, the URL address automatically becomes the title of your hub. The spaces you have in your hub title automatically become dashes (-) in the URL address. So if your hub title is, for example, My First Hub, your URL address will be yoursubdomain.hubpages.com/hub/My-First-Hub. Hope this helps.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The best way is to let the system create the URL, then go back and edit it to take out the hyphens and shorten the URL.  A short URL is better because it's less likely to get truncated.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image19

Oh. I've actually been wondering which is better, short or long URLs. But how short are we talking about? Like how many words? I'm not sure if my URLs would be considered too long but they're not exactly the same as my hub title. I've seen some hubs with only one word as the URL but I've also seen some with a lot of words for their URL. Is the one-word URL better? Or can it be a few words long?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I think the shorter the better.  If you have a long URL, it can get truncated when you post a link on a forum, Facebook etc, and sometimes that can even break the link.  I know you can use a "short link" like bit.ly, but some people are reluctant to click on those because they think it might be spam, so I always prefer a link that tells the reader what it's about.

However, you also want to include your keywords in the link, so it's always a trade-off. Best thing is to take out all the unnecessary words - it doesn't have to be a sentence.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image19

Okay, thanks. Yeah, that makes sense. And I know what you mean about the short links. I myself am reluctant to click on links like those because it's like just a combination of letters that don't seem to mean anything.

How short would you recommend the URL to be, like how many words? I'm also trying to put keywords in my URLs so I think that adds to the length of it.

2. Jasmeetk profile image75
    Jasmeetkposted 4 years ago

Hello evamaries,

You just need to write your title in in the "Hub Title" box. Your hub's URL will automatically change as per your title.

3. W1totalk profile image81
    W1totalkposted 4 years ago

Every so often, you have to take the title and put something is as "uncomplicated" as possible. It has to be short but it has to be clear. Think like Godzilla Attacks America.

4. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 4 years ago

The URL cannot have any spaces in it. The title if it is has more than one word has to have a space between words. Perhaps you have space somewhere in your URL and a space missing between words in the title.

working