jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

YouTube - Pay Per View?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

Just a heads-up:  Apparently, YouTube is thinking of making 'some' of its videos 'Pay Per View.'  No information yet on which types, but since many of us rely greatly on YouTube for those all-important videos in hubs, this could affect how we do things.  It could also be a major pain if we have to edit existing hubs to get rid of any videos for which YouTube wants to charge viewers.

Again - no news yet on what type of videos they're considering for this change.  Or when it might happen.  Or even if.  Just news that they're thinking of doing it.

2. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago

There is already pay-per view on full length movies on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/movie/the-hobbit … ed-journey

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

They're thinking of adding Pay Per View for specific channels - such as pop artists, or possibly specific topics.

1. psycheskinner profile image79
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It will only every be for a small amount of premium content.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

I don't see how YouTube can compete with Netflix or Hulu.  I think it's more of a move for Google to make more money and control the quality of content.  I saw the article on The Atlantic Wire, but it didn't mention pop artists, unless Vevo decides to go premium.  I've noticed changes to their main channel.

4. Johnrr631992 profile image83
    Johnrr631992posted 3 years ago

Yes coming from one who makes Youtube Videos.. This will most likely go to music videos, and will go to those who have millions of subscribers. They are looking to help those who produce videos by giving them more incentive to continue producing quality content on their website. I don't think this will affect many of us who use Youtube Videos in our hubs, not to mention by adding videos to our hubs brings in more viewers to Youtube itself, so I don't know if this will work.

5. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 3 years ago

I think for the majority of Hubbers the effect will be negligible. The majority of content on YouTube will still be free. That being said, someone like myself who composes mostly music hubs might be affected if the Vevo YouTube channel goes premium.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

I hope that's the case - the news reports were mostly speculative, but I can see where it would be counter-productive for YouTube to rely too much on Pay Per View after the freebie ride everyone has had.  And, they do get revenue from ads.

1. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree that if the site was to go mostly PPV it would be suicidal. People are not going to pay for content that they can currently get for free. Because of that they would be losing a fair bit of Ad revenue. But they already have some minimal pay content and I can see them trying to expand on that. But I doubt that a large % of the site will be affected. But I guess all we can do is wait and see.

working