Hub Traffic ~ We are candles in the wind...

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 73 discussions (197 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I'm experiencing a traffic drop. I believe it is because of what this thread is talking about... http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112459 When it comes to ranking, there are just too many whims of fate... And Happy Thursday! 4:30 AM, USA, West Coast.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are changes to my accounts since Tue am.

G said they will not confirm any major changes.

Other website owners are saying there is an update undergoing

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-upda … 16762.html

paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding link! When I looked earlier, I couldn't find anything.

It's most definitely hit the fan. Now it's just a matter of seeing where it splatters...

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hope it will affect us positively smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Particularly this post on the other thread:

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 10 years ago

My traffic has gradually been going down, too, after a nice surge a week or so ago.

Exactly! Things have been going great lately. But I've definitely noticed a sudden shift. Not sure if it's the start of the usual Summer Internet Trauma or if it's Google and HP-topics getting all tangled up.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You left a word: Summer Heat Internal Trauma, known mostly by its initials. lol

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Habee, You're so funny. At least you're still laughing.

2. profile image0
          Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  good one

4. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

Perhaps it is that we are candles in the wind. My traffic is rising. I have though read often here to not get excited when traffic drops, for it does this at times, and it will pick up again. I have been tweaking my hubs too these past two weeks, and will continue. This seems to have helped with increasing traffic.

As to tweaking, I continually poke mine with a stick as well. I don't know about helping, but it doesn't seem to hurt.big_smile

2. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've been finding the same thing.  My traffic has risen just a bit but I, too have been tweaking older hubs.  Who knows.  I love your assessment that we are candles in the wind!

5. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

Well in my case, tweaking is necessary. I just use to write hubs to write, without wanting to use this as a possible making money venue. Since, I decided to switch this, I am in need to tweak what has been written.

6. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 10 years ago

I checked Google after reading this and sure enough a LOT of my Hubs have dropped off first page.
    BUT, I checked Bing and Yahoo and they are still there and in some cases moved up.
    So let's just promote Bing and Yahoo and tell Google to go *CENSORED* themselves.

7. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 10 years ago

Mine are still where they were. A lot of times it is better to sign out of Google before you check. It will take 6 months to a year for a Hub to stabilize in where it is going to be in the rankings. Many I wrote last year are now on the first page for their keywords.

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

It looks like Google started an algo update.  We've seen volatility that last few weeks which is sometimes the precursor.  This update looks to be fairly broad.  I haven't had a chance to compare notes with other large sites yet.  If we learn anything we will share it.

Thank you, Paul! It's nice to know I wasn't imagining things. Knowing that there is indeed something going on, and even further knowing the cause, definitely reduces the stress.

Well, folks. I wonder what Google's latest decree will be...

1. sabrebIade profile image80
        sabrebIadeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it will be that they HATE consonants now and all posts from now on will be one long vowel movement.
        Then next week they can LOVE consonants and hate vowels!

You and Habee are on a roll... lol

9. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

My traffic has been slowly going down for awhile, especially since the weather has gotten warm in the Midwest.

10. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

My traffic seemed to be on the up swing over the past month, then started tankin' early this week.

11. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

I'm curious if this is the large update google was talking about...Penguin 2.0.  It usually takes a couple of days for things to settle and Google to make an announcement.

12. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I noticed earlier that my pages I normally check had dropped.  Plus traffic has disappeared.

Consistency would be a good thing from the uncaring, unthinking idiots at Google. If my page was OK yesterday - what happened?  Did they just notice a load of other pages that they hadn't previously indexed, or did someone carefully check every similar page and decide to move the rankings around?

Were the rankings wrong yesterday, wrong this afternoon or will they be right tomorrow?

Or do these people just play around in the hope they might get it right for their latest angle - selling more advertising, promoting their own garbage, etc?

Consistency.  Give me no traffic and I have something to aim for.  Keep changing it and I have not the foggiest idea what to do.

I have been on a mini-mission of improving my content for at least six months.  Six months.  During that time I have just about managed to keep my traffic slightly less than its best in the middle of last year.  But I know that it is better for search visitors.

So in my opinion - Google have no more idea about judging quality content than.... Insert a load of especially foul mouthed swearing here and forward to Matt Cutts.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

14 blue arrows. Contemplating quick trip to liquor store...

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your percentage is higher than mine, we should start a contest... big_smile

Amateurs

47 Blue Arrows out of 222 Hubs.

I'm a superhero.....

http://i.imgur.com/LfRNO62.jpg

big_smile

I dropped by Real-Time. Google is still busily sending me traffic. So at least I know I haven't been sandboxed. Liquor store trip cancelled. big_smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
            mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beat you, I have 59 blue arrows today out of 282 hubs wink

:::hands Misty a blue blow, quiver with arrows and costume:::
              There's always room for one more!

http://i.imgur.com/GSffNDY.jpg

smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

lol, very good lol

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

Mine has 39 blue arrows. I checked and all but 2 are in the same positions. Summer downtime has arrived.

Mine has dropped from 14 to 12. So I think there is actually a shot that we could wake up to good news tomorrow.

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

I remember an article awhile back where webmasters would experience a surge in traffic, become very happy, and then it crashed and burned. Turns out that Google was testing the sites, thus the increase in traffic; the following crash and burn was Google's implementation of the test results.

So, if my traffic crashes and burns... Was it because of my subdomain? Or was it because of my high-traffic hubs being entangled in the Google-HP-topics situation?

15. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Definitely odd traffic patterns (or cycles).

16. sabrebIade profile image80

"I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar,"
    Checked mine and I am getting
    1.Google
    2.Yahoo
    3. Bing
    4. HubPages
    5. Pinterest

So Google is still the tops here.
    Now my blogs....that's another story

17. sabrebIade profile image80

I went down to the Arrow cave and checked the Arrow Computer and mine went from 47 to 65 blue arrows and one lone red arrow.
    But hey...this ain't my first rodeo so I'm not gonna start freaking out.

18. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I'm down a little but not enough to worry about just yet.

19. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

My traffic is up smile But as I've been pushing as hard as I can to get traffic NOT from Google, that could be why. I hate being reliant on one traffic source.

1. findwholeness profile image88
      findwholenessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How are you doing it?

20. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 10 years ago

I just checked my traffic. It's been cut almost in half from what it was 2 weeks ago. I think I'll take Para's suggestion and head to the liquor store. Ugh...

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just checked my stats - all my Google sources are down about 33%. Google and Yahoo are about the same. Noticed it changing yesterday!!!

Are you saying Yahoo also dropped a third? That would actually be a good sign. It would mean google isn't necessarily picking on HP again.

No - I meant that I haven't experienced a drop in Bing or Yahoo - so this seems a world-wide Google change!

Looks like there is no way around the fact that Google is f*cking HubPages again. And as Mark implied, no sense going to another content farm; it would just be more of the same.

I'm actually branching out on a niche site - and maybe a few more to see if I can get some other residual income that isn't so reliant on HP!

I think this one will settle down over time though - Google say they are focused on quality - and HP definitely has improved quality on here so...if you believe Google that is!!!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
              FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If Google really wants to f*ck us they could at least take us out for dinner and a couple of drinks first. Sheesh.

1. tillsontitan profile image82

I'm with you Freddy!

2. habee profile image92

lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

I have likewise suffered a distinct loss in traffic. The last 30 days sure were fun while it lasted. Contemplating my next move.
      And an observation: Habee is one of our best writers. And Habee's hubs are the best that HubPages has to offer.  Therefore, Habee's 50% traffic drop has nothing to do with anything that Habee did or did not do. If the drop is due to Google, and not the beginning of the usual Summer Heat Internet Trauma cycle, then it means that Google is perturbed with HP again.
      That is my speculation. I would like to hear other speculations. In fact, I would like to be dead bang wrong.

Follow-up. I also just noticed that my Q&A traffic has fallen off a cliff.

My Q&A traffic has dropped 33% - same as I am experiencing with my Google traffic to my hubs!

2. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it is those doorway ads disguised as related searches scrolling merrily along ....

I consider that a distinct possibility. At minimum they sure aren't helping.

2. SimeyC profile image87

Don't think so  - Google told us they were going to do an update to Pengium a while ago! And also we're not the only site experiencing the changes - there are many other people in panic mode too!!! big_smile

3. janderson99 profile image53
          janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree 'Related Search' is probably the cause. This is the last major change to the site, since traffic went up in response to QAP.  Sad!

3. habee profile image92

Awwww...what a sweet thing to say! It's a wonderful gift on this Mother's Day morning.

21. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

How sad our hubs are at the whim of Google!  The dip in views will go up...we just have to believe it because HP is here to stay whethere Google likes it or not!!!

22. Mark Ewbie profile image82

It's a Google Penguin update or similar.  Perhaps HP need to add some extra floating adverts to recover lost revenue.

It is not the start of summer or any of those other red herring excuses.  Google announced ages ago they wanted to see the end of content sites.  Name one update that has improved traffic that wasn't a short-lived 'mistake'.

My content is no different to how it was two days ago.  Therefore my content is now subject to yet another penalty.  At what point to throw the towel in?

I have tweaked, and been Qapped on, I have done as much as I have time for.  I have consistently improved my offering for the last year and the reward has been a gradual decline with occasional hopeful peaks.

Given a level playing field I would expect to be receiving at least double, treble last years traffic.

This is absolutely pathetic.

I don't know what to do anymore either. sad

Google announced they were making a major change to Penguin (I think) or even doing something new in the last update relating to Panda - I guess this is kicking in. I'm not panicking yet as typically it takes about a week for these 'bubbles' to work their way through the system.

I note that I have a test hub that I check on periodically to see what google is doing. It's been sitting in third place on google for the last six months - yesterday it went down to 4 and was 'bumped' by a page with no content and only pictures. Today it's back up to 3.

So I'm assuming this is happening to all my hubs and eventually things will settle back to normal...

...if not, then I may be frequenting the local bar a little more often!

23. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 10 years ago
    1. tillsontitan profile image82

Corporations, CEO's, Web advertisers, everyone is complaining as their page ranks have changed.

Yep - this change isn't going to last - if major corporations are complaining that's gonna cost Google a lot of money! There's hope yet!!!

Isn't it sad that money is what gets their attention?
          Not quality?
          "Don't be evil"....riiiight

24. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 10 years ago

Come on guys - CHILL OUT!!

We've all been around long enough to know that traffic can swing wildly when there's a Google update and that there's no point expecting the worst. We could just as easily see an uptick over the next week as things settle.

You may be right BUT...

Whenever this happens I DROP.  Other sites rise.  How come other sites always rise while my HubPages always drops?

I accept it may be a temporary dance but how come I don't get the top slot whereas other sites do?

I believe the dice are loaded or whatever.  It is not funny, not fair.

Google Dance always means I get shoved into the corner.

Law of averages would say that at least ONCE HubPages would dance upwards.

I don't usually get to enjoy the surges either.

2. Susana S profile image93
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know it can be frustrating and demoralising Mark and I wish I had all the answers for you! Your work certainly deserves to do well.

While I don't claim to know the mind of Google, they seem to hold content sites to a higher standard than others (which I can understand given the amount of rubbish that tends to accumulate on them) - so yes the dice are loaded!

Subdomains helped mitigate the damage of poor pages on the site somewhat, but I believe that every  page on HP is still affected by the others on the domain since they're all interlinked.

I'm going to drop you a line because I do have some ideas for you smile

25. paradigmsearch profile image60

I'm noticing that I am experiencing actual feelings of anger every time I look at my stats page.

I've decided to ban myself from my stats page for the time being.

26. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 10 years ago

**Breaking News**

I'm seeing a huge surge in Google......Tanzania. Up 100%!!!!

The Tanzanians must be playing a lot of video games!!!

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

As previously mentioned, I'm refusing to look at my stats for the time being. However, I took a peek at real-time. It actually perked me up. I have concluded that our lives have indeed not ended as we know it. big_smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also have a sea of blue arrows after a few weeks of steady traffic. It's my second Spring here, and I notice traffic does drop off around in May, and picks back up in September. It's just a matter of how low it goes.

Jean, I thought that at first because that is how my traffic works too. This drop just happened too quick though. It's been all in one day.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Barbara Kay,
          I'm just trying to rationalize it in my mind smile. It's so frustrating, when you have great results for a few days, and then look at your account and see you had one person reading your hubs. Sigh.

Agreed - analytics seems to indicate things are back to normal....maybe..possibly...big_smile

3. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not here - real time shows 4 visitors when it should be over a dozen. sad

If I grab your coattails will you or Simey drag me along with you?

28. crankalicious profile image89
    crankaliciousposted 10 years ago

The reason traffic is down is because colleges across the country are graduating and everyone is travelling instead of doing internet searches. That's what I think, anyway.

29. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

My best guess right now is another Panda iteration.  Over the years, those have really been the only algo updates that changes traffic at this scale.  I traded a few emails with a goog rep today...hope to learn more by early next week.

30. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I just read this from SEL, and my head was swimming by the end of it...  after a crazy day of work, I don't want to read about Pandas and Penguins and decimals.   Danny Sullivan's guess is that it's a Panda update.

31. profile image0
    Astlyrposted 10 years ago

I'm in another site that has Google Ad-sense and Since last month I wanted to associate my account with the ad sense program, they tell me they can't because Google is making an API update and until it ends no one on that site can associate the account.

This update has also delayed some people's applications to Ad sense, they have to wait more time, to get approved.

32. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 10 years ago

Funny, I had not looked at HP for about a week. But I was looking for info on Google and was unhappy with the first page results - lots of the stupid Q & A forums as well as sites that had nothing to do with my search. I shoulda known something was up.

Last Panda was great for me. My traffic returned to highs known before all this Panda crap. Now I am down about 1/3.

33. paradigmsearch profile image60

I wonder if QAP accepts panda recipe hubs...

34. findwholeness profile image88
    findwholenessposted 10 years ago

Ugh, stupid Google. I work for a company that sells goods online, and our search results all plummeted a few months back, and where we were, eBay and Walmart were now in our place. And their results didn't even have the product that was being searched for. Think Google is making money off those websites? Most definitely.

35. Theophanes profile image89
    Theophanesposted 10 years ago

Aye, the past two weeks have been a blissful surge with 400ish more visitors than usual and then all of a sudden it started to plummet... I thought it was just an error like the 3 days it claimed I had no clicks because it was so sudden but alas no. Now it's down below what it was before the surge. It's annoying... I work toward getting it higher, achieve that goal, only to take these back steps which don't seem to go forward again. I will hope that I am wrong in that but time will tell.

I'm fighting back. I belong to a lot of groups and am active on a lot of forums. I am going to do some self-promotion without being spammy. I've had enough of Google.

36. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

What loss of traffic? You have to actually have traffic in order to lose it! lol

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sad but true.

37. paradigmsearch profile image60

I want my Teddy Bear!

I made the mistake of looking at my numbers. Grim hub traffic. Grim Q&A traffic. GRIM EARNINGS. Grim. Grim. Grim.

"Tough town, the internet" doesn't even begin to describe it...

Gotta find myself another freaking source of income.

And Happy Saturday morning, 4:15 am, USA, west coast.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

7:28 a.m. East Coast time:  Happy Saturday morning back to you.

I'm not really sure that it's so much a matter of the town as it may be a matter of some neighborhoods in that town.

Got any neighborhoods you can recommend?

38. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Yah.  And it might be that, er, in that neighbourhood there's a house where we all live.  And in the basement is a real bad guy who writes content that isn't very good.  And the Google Car has seen him and is going to take us all out unless we confront the bad guy.  Except we are all in the basement and I don't know who the bad guy is.  Maybe it's me.  Fortunately there's a long rope and a bucket of cement handy.

But wait.  Who's this coming? It's Matt Cutts, in his special superhero costume.  He leaps from the Google Car, which is now a tank, and torches the building. We are all doomed.  I ask him to call the Fire Brigade and he just laughs.

At that moment Simone and Paul leap out of a helicopter and land on Matt's head. They pummel him until he is completely pummelled.  They use one of Simone's smaller bows to fashion a wind turbine that blows out the flames - except for the bad guy who is done to a crisp.  We're saved!

Hooray for HubPages!  Hooray for Paul and Simone and her Bow!!!

Traffic recovers.  Quantcast shows a slight upturn.  I earn three dollars.

1. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is fantastic.  Do you plan to ask a lot for the movie rights?  It will be a blockbuster I'm sure.

I hadn't really thought about movie rights but I suppose five dollars would cover it.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Hilarious, loved this bit especially. lol

39. paradigmsearch profile image60

My hub stats are hovering just above another major round number...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_swaxOidGU 2 minutes, 34 seconds

Good video for this.

40. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

Even though my views are down to dismal numbers, I earned more from Google Adsense yesterday than since Christmas. It still wasn't much though. I never earn that much from Adsense. I just thought it was funny.

41. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 10 years ago

My traffic is way down too. At first I put it down to the normal drop that seems to happen from Thursday until Sunday afternoon, but looking at the figures today they are the lowest I have seen them in months even on a weekend sad

42. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Early days but looks like a quota rest with Squidoo spared this time but HP hit, possibly due to spammy 'related search'
    http://www.a1niches.com/quota.jpg

I looked at Global/Monthly on Quantcast and HP was down 1% and Squidoo was down 19%.
      That was only up till the 10th though.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Yep.  Introduce QAP -good idea.  Add spammy adverts - bad idea.

Any manual assessment of the site that sees the amount of advertising is surely going to be poor.

3. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's spammy 'related search'?

1. janderson99 profile image53

That could be the problem.

43. pinappu profile image83
    pinappuposted 10 years ago

Traffic is dropping but the thing which is making me worried is the performance of new hubs. They are not just doing well. No matter what I did the new hubs are not getting much traffic. These thing is happening after the introduction of Squidoo style 24 hour waiting system.

44. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

That's the only obvious, major thing that has changed, in the last month or so. QAP rolls out and should have made things better for Panda Baby.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You certainly know how to jump to unwarranted conclusions. If the issue was the ads it would hit people equally. After a small recovery, I'm down less than 10% now, others have reported 30%, 50% and one person, two thirds.

I doubt if other people around the web would experience ranking changes as a result of HP's ad strategies, either: http://searchengineland.com/if-that-was … -it-158925

What else could it be that has affected the entire HP site? Varying impact, but all affected to some extent. Most hubs QAPed, this appeared to provide benefits last time. Quality improved, traffic up and now this. Any other suggestions?

What could have affected the entire site?

A change in the search algo.

A change in the Panda algo.

A new Penguin.

The kind of thinking to avoid:

There is a bad thunderstorm

It's something we did

Better build a pyramid and sacrifice some virgins

Better stick with the virgin sacrifices, just in case

What do you suggest authors and HP do to recover lost traffic???

Google wants to serve up professional, polished pages that meet readers' needs. It does no harm to help them.

2. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wrong question.  Right question:  What could it be that has affected dozens or hundreds of sites all over the web?

Answer: either world wide power failures or google playing more games.  Of the two, I'll take the latter.

Right Wilderness.
              And I would say more like hundreds from what I am seeing across the web.

2. Dale Hyde profile image82
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years ago

What has changed for me, for what it may be worth, is over the past 30 days my views are down 66% on the money.

The reasoning and guessing always goes on, lol.

I am like a few others, I believe that there is some conflict between HP and Goggle at some level that creates such critters as what we are seeing now.

As for "Real Time", I have been glaring at this zero glaring back at me.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Edited after reviewing Quantcast which shows appalling traffic drop.  My own traffic is the worst for a long time.

So why did HP get hit so bad?  We have QAP.  It should be better.  It was better.

What has changed recently?

In my opinion it is the floating adverts.  They immediately say spammy site where the adverts are the reason for the content.  I don't care what possible justification there might be - they are awful to look at. 

I would never stay on a site with that level of constantly in your face advertising. 

OK.  It could be some other reason.  But as someone trying to engage with a reader, maybe get them to read something else as well the ads are annoying.  It's saying "sure the text is ok but LOOK, LOOK, LOOK AT THE ADS".

Makes a mockery of QAP.  Quality content with over the top advertising. 

I blame the ads.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh we're doing war stories now? I was slapped by Microsoft for installing Windows in my tent. In fact "she was born in a tent" originated from my birth there, meaning I had the opportunity to write my birth story before it happened so I got slapped with Pre-Google's backward duplicate pre-sensationalised time travel ban.

You think YOU got it bad?

Lol.  Sorry Wry - I edited my 'joke' away after a quick view of the traffic figures sent me into meltdown.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You just can't take a joke, can you Mark?

4. RaksTheBlogger profile image83
      RaksTheBloggerposted 10 years ago

It is true,many hubs are now experiencing a traffic drop.Hope it stops soon!

5. rajan jolly profile image92
      rajan jollyposted 10 years ago

I'm down 50% of my usual traffic since the 1st of this month and still going down. I wonder how much drop other hubbers have experienced?

6. bdegiulio profile image95
      bdegiulioposted 10 years ago

Yep, a very noticeable drop over the last week or so.  I wouldn't say 50 % but maybe more like a 25% drop for me at the moment.  Hopefully things turn around soon.

7. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 10 years ago

Happy Mother's Day! It's been a tough weekend for page views here on HubPages.

I saw a nice, mild surge Sunday through Wednesday (5/5 to 5/8/2013). I always see a drop Friday through Saturday, sometime Sunday. This week was particularly bad, and my page views went down across the board below 1/2, down almost to 1/3 their usual, in spite of my maintaining my Hubscore and also publishing two new hubs. (Though I believe my drop would have been worse without those efforts.)

I would suggest that we got hit with a 3-way slam. First, changes in Google's algorithm. Second, the release of a tragic news story (about the women who had been imprisoned and Ohio), and third, Mother's Day weekend. A lot that pulls away our readers to other things.

I know my next step is to build a social media presence. I saw how that would add page views. I wasn't sure if it would help with placement of my hubs in Google. Now I see that it can. I'm glad I learned that here.

Sometimes, it's hard to do all this work and see no growth yet. But I'm here for the long term . . .

These ups and downs in page views and income will happen. But the joys of writing and sharing in community are steady.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)