jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Using A Money Transfer System Other Than PayPal.

1. RGNestle profile image83
    RGNestleposted 3 years ago

Why are we only allowed to use PayPal for our earnings when PayPal has a LONG history of freezing accounts for NO GOOD reason at all? They did it to me twice before I dropped them, and I had been with them from the very beginning and have held a consistent 100% positive feedback rating for all those years!

The first reason given to me was, "You didn't sell anything for two years, so we froze the money in case you were going to try and scam the buyer. You'll get your money when you send the item and it is recorded that the buyer has received it." I was out of work and had no money to send the item.

The second time they froze the account, I never did get a reason.

I sold an item for one cent and got less than four dollars for shipping, and PayPal froze the money in the account until I sent the item. Well, I was still out of work (this being about a week after they released the previous funds) and still had no money to send the item. Therefore, PayPal made sure I could not send the item because they were holding the postage needed for shipping.

They told me they couldn't do anything about it because it was the computer doing the decision making. I asked them why they were so ineffectual as to let a computer tell them how to run their business.

This all happened over a period of six months and I don't want to go through it again! It is also not a rare occurrence at PayPal. The sites, paypalsucks dot com and screwpaypal dot com are filled with information on thousands of PayPal customers who have been cheated by PayPal.

I can't seem to contact Hub Pages about this. I keep getting sent to the forums.

Does anyone know when Hub Pages will sever their ties with such a underhanded company as PayPal and let us use more efficient, safe, and honest systems such as Amazon Marketplace and Google Check-out for our earnings? Can we do that already and I have simply missed it?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! We need a new money handling system!

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey RGNestle,
      I am so sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience with PayPal.
      I am afraid that it is the only option we will be able to provide through the HubPages Earnings Program for now.
      The good news is that you need only opt out of the Earnings Program to earn directly through AdSense, so there are still options! big_smile

2. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

RGNestle, you could also focus on writing sales hubs from Amazon.com where you can receive your money directly in your bank account.

I figure that PayPal handles their business or seller accounts differently than the basic. If you opt out of the sellers account for an account where you just receive payments from HP an places likes this, I don't think you will have the same problem. Your issues seemed to be consumer related.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

As Simone said, for now this appears to be the only system but if it makes you feel any better I had one such experience with them years ago and like in your case their response was inadequate to say the least.

3. Copper Man profile image85
    Copper Manposted 3 years ago

"I asked them why they were so ineffectual as to let a computer tell them how to run their business."
    I love it!

4. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

Yes, Paypal has its problems but I wouldn't hold your breath for HubPages to choose another way to pay.  Problems with Paypal have been well known since before HubPages even began.

Paypal is still the most accessible and easiest way for them to operate.  It's the same with Adsense.  There are many people who can't get Adsense because they've been banned, sometimes  unfairly.  That means there are many people who can never be HubPages members:  which is a shame, but it's still the most cost-effective option for HubPages. 

Until they run short of members, HubPages has no driving reason to offer alternatives which will only create more work for them without a corresponding increase in profit. This is a business, and their profit comes first.

Paypal is like its parent, eBay:  great while it works and absolutely impossible when something goes wrong. I've used it for years without any trouble but I know there's always the possibility of problems.  I deal with it by always making sure I keep my Paypal balance to a minimum - and I haven't verified my bank account with them, which limits their ability to transfer money from it.