Can I get constructive criticism on my hub please (It's rather long!)

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. dj2ball profile image68
    dj2ballposted 10 years ago

Hi all

So I had a lot to say on this hub and it came in at just around 6,000 words. I'm not sure whether it might be worth splitting up into three parts or something to make it a little more accessible? It's just a topic I happen to be passionate about!!!

Also, I know my titles are not really search engine friendly and rather obscure, but I was hoping to liven the tone of the piece. What are your thoughts on if I went with more traditional/safe SEO type titles?

Really appreciate any feedback I can get, this took a long time to put together!

Link: http://hub.me/afm9Q

1. chasmac profile image91
      chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought that 6000 words would be far too many for a hub, but on reading it, I found that not to be the case at all. It's packed full of useful information and written in a style that keeps the reader engaged. It's perhaps too long to read and take in all in one go, but as a Twitter reference, it's excellent and should keep readers coming back again and again.
      As was mentioned, splitting it into separate hubs might make more sense as far as attracting traffic is concerned, but as a reader, I'm glad that it's all in one hub. I can scan and pick and choose the parts I want to read or re-read. I would be less likely to click on links.
      Fix the mistakes that have been pointed out (surprisingly few for a 6,000 word article) and this hub will fly.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it would be worth splitting into three separate Hubs.  That way you get three different Hubs that can be found by the search engines.   Interlink them clearly and people will read all three.

An obvious split would be to move the "Twitter Jargon" section into a separate Hub.  Then create a right-floated, coloured text box saying something like "Confused by Twitter jargon?  Find out what it all means here (linking to your jargon Hub)".  I'd put that around the middle of the Hub.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

This is a great hub full of interesting tid bits. I would break up the paragraphs into smaller units to make it less cumbersome for readers. Apart from that it is a good piece.

3. dj2ball profile image68

thanks Luis, really appreciate the feedback. I'll be sure to make some tweaks to the paragraph structure smile

4. dj2ball profile image68

Would anyone else be so kind as to take a look? Thanks folks

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi dj2ball

These are some changes I'd suggest in addition to LuisE...:
      1. Place your keyword at the front of the title~Twitter Marketing:Mega......However note Mega Monster guide comes up as zero people searching for that keyword, so really there is no advantage for using it maybe try a title like this:
      Twitter Marketing: Using Twitter for Marketing Guide

2. Use a table of contents

3. Start your first paragraph  using more focus terms. (guide to twitter, twitter marketing, marketing using twitter, ect.)

4. Think about turning this into more than one hub. Twitter demystified can be its own hub. Titled: Twitter: How to use Twitter  and Twitter: How to understand Twitter Jargon.

5. Then link all these hubs together.

dj2ballposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some really great tips there, thank you summerberrie. Guess I missed a lot of SEO work here focusing on the content!

1. profile image0

dj2ball, you have lots more views than I do and with only 2 hubs so I suspect I could learn more from you  than you from me. Best of hubbing smile

dj2ballposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well I got all those views on one hub pretty much, got in early on a new game release and was ranking top 5 in Google for quite some time...now to get this one up there too!

1. profile image0

That must have been sweet.
              You have great content! Maybe you should just stick with your instinct.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One small point, Summerberrie: in your suggested title you've used "Twitter" twice and "Marketing" twice - a title which would've been a great idea at one time, but is now a no-no.

it's thought that Google is now punishing repeated keywords in a title because it's a common strategy by keyword stuffers.

5. path-finder profile image57
    path-finderposted 10 years ago

Here are some corrections on the first paragraph.

Welcome and congratulations on finding this hub, not to mention getting past it's* ever so slightly obnoxious title! My intention for this hub is to be something of an all encompassing twitter resource for both* new users, as well as those that have dabbled in but never fully made use of it. You can expect to* me to take you by the hand and lead you slowly and steadily through the sometimes bafflingly* complex world of Twitter and its application as a marketing tool.

* "it's" should be "its"
    * Either take "both" out or replace "as well as" with "and"
    * Take the "to" out
    * Baffling should be the correct word

Looks like you might have made many more errors, seeing it is 6000 words long. If you don't mind I could copy-edit it for errors.

6. dj2ball profile image68

That would be great, appreciate you taking the time to help.

6000 words was a lot to write and my fingers and mind were occassionally moving along separate paths!

Cheers
    Matt

7. path-finder profile image57
    path-finderposted 10 years ago

Looking further at it, it looks like you need to correct all the way through. There are repetitions of the error of using "it's" instead of "it". I also found errors with tenses.

I would suggest that you go through the hub again to correct mistakes. I know it is no easy task but you can do it step by step, 1000 words at a time or so. It is important to correct it so that it flows well. Writing hurriedly shouldn't mean you have to make mistakes.

8. Suhail and my dog profile image78
    Suhail and my dogposted 10 years ago

I found the hub to be informative. I have published 10 hubs to date and all 10 of them are featured hubs. However, my readership seems to be disappointingly low, although many people have advised me to go professional and approach outdoors exploration magazines for publishing the hubs. The lessons learnt from my 10 featured hubs and some friends who really do care are as follows:

1. Hubs should be of moderate length.
    2. Long paragraphs should be broken into shorter easy to read ones. You do have very long paragraphs.
    3. Put lots of pictures, figures, graphs, illustrations, preferably original ones along those paragraphs.

Then you do what you are advising others to do - market it.

9. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Looks like a very useful hub. You made good use of text capsules for the last half of the hub but not the first half. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you put a lot of content into a few text capsules in the first half of the hub. I counted 14 text capsules but you could probably use 18 to 20 for the entire hub. Also, as Luis said, break up your paragraphs into smaller ones.

I'm still not clear on what constitutes "overly self-promotional" but you put your twitter account and link to your site at the bottom. Not sure if that's too much as far as Hubpages is concerned.
    Otherwise, good job, that's a lot of work.

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

You had me until "It's rather long." lol

11. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 10 years ago

My main suggestion is to take path-finder's suggestions which don't seem to have been done in the 8 days since he posted them:-)

Secondly I think your title will appeal to people who already use twitter. In which case you can get rid of the instructions on how to sign up to twitter, thus reducing your massive word-count.

And to re-iterate other people's suggestions - chop up the large blocks of text.

Good stuff though overall:-)

12. quotations profile image87
    quotationsposted 10 years ago

I have to be honest - my eyes sort of glazed over when I saw the lack of effective formatting and the excessive length. On the web, about 1500 words is fairly long for a page.

I would break this up into several related articles - but each should be stand alone. Avoid doing articles as "page 1", "page 2" etc

Also improve the readability of the page by breaking it up into components that can be easily be scanned and read

13. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I scanned it without really reading to get a feel.  And I was interested in someone who had so many views with only two hubs!

I like your writing style - ignore the grammar police.  You do slightly convoluted sentences, my big failing, so you might want to occasionally simplify your statements - but I like it.

IF I was interested in Twitter I would have read it all.  It feels like a proper in-depth article.

The only thing I really don't like is the use of the word "hub".  It means nothing to anyone.  Use page or article or anything but.

HOTD right there in my opinion.

1. profile image0
      Ethan Greenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you say ignore the grammar police Mark, are you advising dj2ball to not change it's for its for example? Writing style has nothing to do with basic errors like that surely...

14. dj2ball profile image68

Thanks everyone for all the tips, as soon as I get some time in the next few days ill look to tidy up the grammar errors, break up the chunks of text and make a call if I split the hub into a few smaller ones

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)