jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How to reduce bounce rate?

1. Thomas Swan profile image94
    Thomas Swanposted 3 years ago

I've heard that a bounce rate above 80% is a major problem. Mine is 88%, is that normal for hubpages?

However, the average session time is about 50 seconds, suggesting some people actually read a fair chunk of my work.

To reduce the bounce rate, would it be worth putting links to my related hubs within the hub itself? Is there a good way to link to your other hubs? Or should I just use the link capsule? I'm reluctant because hubpages does this automatically with the "previous" and "next" hubs at the end. So I don't want to put too many links on the page and appear spammy.

I'm annoyed that these automatic links appear well below the end of the hub though. They are below the thumbs, the interesting/useful/etc, and an ad. It doesn't exactly encourage people to click through to more hubs.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I just went and checked. For this account my bounce rate is currently at 90.36%. In fact I don't think it's ever been below 90% since I started.

Seeing as I get over 2,000 visits per day and a good payout, doesn't bother me.

I think this post by Sunforged summed up the importance of Hubpages bounce rate quite well: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112466#post2400086

2. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 3 years ago

My bounce rate is fairly high too. However, it seems my most popular hubs are read most of the way through, as they spend a couple of minutes, on average, if Google Analytics can be relied upon with any confidence, that is.

I suspect hubpages doesn't report the bounce rate properly, or the average is thrown off by visitors who got to your hub by mistake, and leave immediately. Best to look at the time visitors spend on each page. If it's less than a minute, you need to make that hub more interesting or more 'on-topic', and informative.

3. lobobrandon profile image81
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

My traffic is fine and everything seems ok so I don't actually bother anymore. Just checked the bounce rate over the past year April 18th 2012 - Today and it's 83.61%

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

First explain why you think bounce is a problem.  IMHO it is exactly what I want to happen on my hubs.  I want people to come to my hub, and then click an advertisement. *Boing* *Cha-ching*