jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Blurry Photos

1. DanielMarcosi profile image84
    DanielMarcosiposted 3 years ago

I was just browsing through Hub Pages' "ways of improving hubs" section, and I read that adding photos could improve your reach on the web.
    I used a couple of public domain websites, and added some photos to my hubs, but when I finished editing, the photos looked blurry.
    I just found the finished product of the hubs through a search engine and all of the photos are fuzzy, unlike how they are in my "pictures" file on my computer.

Any advice.  Be gentle, I'm not too savvy when it comes to re-sizing the photos that I've downloaded.

Thank you.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

@chasmac Is correct.
      A "blurry" (pixelated) image is usually the result of showing a low resolution image larger than it actually is.

So if I have an image that is 100x100 and I show it as 200x200 on a Hub, then it is likely to be pixelated.
      Make sure to use images that as large or larger than the area on screen in which it will be displayed.

2. chasmac profile image99
    chasmacposted 3 years ago

The pictures that you're downloading are too small to begin with. I followed a couple of your picture links to the source and the originals are basically just thumbnail images. If you try to enlarge a tiny thumbnail-sized picture, it becomes pixelated, meaning the individual pixels become visible and the pic looks blurry.
    You need to download larger images.

Interesting free image site though. Completely legit and owned by Getty Images. I only use my own pics but it could be useful for a lot of hubbers - assuming the site offers decent-sized images and not just thumbnails.

3. DanielMarcosi profile image84
    DanielMarcosiposted 3 years ago

You're right. I looked more closely at the photo urls and the word "thumb" was in there.
    I was just copying the images instead of downloading them, and the only way that I could download them was to sign-up for the site.
    It was a pain in the $%#, but I just finished and the pictures look fine.
    Thanks for your response.