jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Seasoned Hubbers help here.

1. The Real Tomato profile image80
    The Real Tomatoposted 7 years ago

I found a 'button', the stats for each individual Hub. ( I am finding new things everyday) I checked the money making potential for each and they were good except one. I need to know exactly what is wrong with it in order to revise it. The length is much the same as the others so I don't think that's it. It's the one on movies based on books.
    I need brutal (polite) honesty please. smile

2. seamist profile image81
    seamistposted 7 years ago

Hi Real Tomato

In my experience at Hubpages, the money potential metric has not made any difference in how much money a hub is made.  Although quality content is important, there are two things that will affect your Adsense earnings: a) the topic you have written on. and b) the amount of traffic  If you don't have very much traffic, even with a great hub, it won't make very much money. So, if you're wanting to make money at blogging, learn all you can about using keywords and search engine optimization. Good luck! smile

3. The Real Tomato profile image80
    The Real Tomatoposted 7 years ago

Thank you much, Seamist.

4. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 7 years ago

Earning potential is also based on the value of the Adsense and Kontera clicks for your keywords.

A Hub about mesothelioma lawyers will always have greater earning potential than one about, say, pre-Cambrian art, regardless of how well-written it is.

The Real Tomatoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Jenny- I wish I had a birds eye view of all this, right now it is a maze and I am on foot. Learning one thing at a time.
      Now if I only knew how value was determined...lol

1. Whitney05 profile image67
        Whitney05posted 7 years ago in reply to this

What value, are you referring to? Essentially hubmetrics is just an estimated amount that you may earn. You never know in that your hubs with fewer $$ you may actually earn more than those with more $$$$. The estimate, as Jenny stated, is just on the keywords that you used and the overall topic that you've written about.

2. kerryg profile image89
        kerrygposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The Google Adwords Keyword Tool can provide some clues about what keywords have the greatest money-making potential. It's here: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

It's a little sad how long it took me to realize that it provided CPC estimates as well as traffic estimates. Look at the dropdown menu that says "Show/hide columns" after your results have appeared and click on the avg. CPC option to add that info to your chart.

"movies based on books" shows an average CPC of $0.59, "mesothelioma lawyers" has $23.38, and "pre-cambrian art" is going for $0.05.

The Real Tomatoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am getting enough pieces now to make some sense of all this. The value I was referring to earlier was the value of the Adsense clicks. I understand now. I didn't  know what CPC was until I clicked on the link you gave me. Ha.
          Thank You Everyone for your help.

5. Jo Brown profile image60
    Jo Brownposted 7 years ago

Thank you for the link on the google keywords tool.  I clicked it and had it analyze my hub for keywords.  It came up with two perfectly valid keywords that I had not thought of that had huge search numbers.  So I added them to my hub!

6. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 7 years ago

When you look at the Google tool, don't get too excited - those prices are what advertisers pay to get on the top 3 positions next to the search results.

They pay considerably less for ads in the content network, which is what HubPages is, and then you only get a fraction of what they pay.

My rule of thumb is 20% to 40% of the quoted CPC is what actually hits my bank account when someone clicks an ad. From memory, the most I have seen for a single click was $2.65. My average across all my Hubs is about 30c per click, which is probably higher than most Hubbers because I write a fair bit about money in one form or another.

7. vintage chic profile image78
    vintage chicposted 7 years ago

I am oh-so-grateful to all of you talented hubbers helping us newbies out! Here's another question about the whole Google adword thing. Okay, if I've already written my hub, and I discover that there is a popular word being targeted in Google that I could add on my tags, then does adding or changing a tag count as editing my hub, so that I can "ping" my article through pingomatic every time I change a tag?   
    Thank again, you guys!