FIXED: Sitemap bug (tags not closed) showing in WMT

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. drpennypincher profile image85
    drpennypincherposted 10 years ago

I entered the URL for my sitemap and tested it in Google Webmaster Tools.  The URL I used was:
    ... sitemaps/hub/current/sitemap-hub-drpennypincher.xml.gz

The test reported 1 error on line 188 and 1 warning on line 8.

I pasted the message from Google Webmaster Tools below.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

Dr. Penny Pincher

Errors
    Parsing error
    We were unable to read your Sitemap. It may contain an entry we are unable to recognize. Please validate your Sitemap before resubmitting.
    Line 188
    May 26, 2013

Warnings
    Invalid XML tag
    This tag was not recognized. Please fix it and resubmit.
    Parent tag: url
    Tag: url
    Line 8
    May 26, 2013

1. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is this related to a sitemap that you created?

drpennypincherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Matthew, No- this is an error in the default sitemap.

2. NitinVerma858 profile image57
        NitinVerma858posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

3. Matthew Meyer profile image73

@drpennypincher
        Thanks for the quick reply.
        I just did some research and found that this is a known issue on which our engineering team is working.
        The specific bug is that all the tags are not closed, which lines up with the error you see.
        I anticipate we will deploy a fix for this issue soon.
        Thanks for your patience.

Matthew,
          Thanks for the quick response and details about the bug.

4. Matthew Meyer profile image73

Just wanted to give an update.
        We deployed a fix for this recently.
        It may take 2-3 days for the changes to take effect, but they should gradually resolve.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Thanks for the update!

2. drpennypincher profile image85

The changes appear to have taken effect- I just tested my sitemap on Google Webmaster Tools and there were no errors and no warnings.  Thanks for your help getting this resolved.

Sure thing!  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image73

Just wanted to post an update.
        The sitemap itself should now be fine, but it looks like Google is still referencing the cached older version.
        You may be able to manually submit the sitemap again and then mark all errors as fixed and then you should be up and going. Otherwise, it may take a bit of time for Google to update and look at the new and not cached version.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

I tried opening your sitemap in Safari and found an error on line 193. The line number may be different due to the dynamic nature of the constantly changing sitemap. But it explains the reason why Google reported a similar error.

I wouldn't worry about adding the HP sitemap to your Google webmaster account.  I add the sitemap links for all my other websites, but I never added it for HP. Google seems to do well on its own finding and indexing our Hubs. I'd be afraid to give it the sitemap since it may stop indexing anything beyond the first error.

Glenn, thanks for the good advice.  It's probably not a big problem.  I am a bit concerned that Google will have trouble indexing my subdomain since there is an error in the sitemap that is listed in robots.txt...

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

Now that this was fixed I submitted my sitemap to Google. But there is one error and one warning. Matt, I would appreciate if you look into this. 

Here is a copy of the report from my Google Webmaster account. Not sure why it says detected on May 25 as I just submitted this today (May31)...

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8053275_f1024.jpg

Thanks Glenn.
        I just submitted by sitemap as well and it looks like I am getting the same error and warning.  It also says the 25th like yours, but I too did not submit my sitemap to WMT until today.

I wonder if it is a cache issue and perhaps Google looked at the sitemap on the 25th hasn't rechecked it yet.

I have forwarded this to our engineering team.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image73

Glenn,

I guess when you do a test, it only looks at the cached version of the sitemap.
        Submit is the method that will look at the current version.
        If you mark all the error as fixed, do you still see some going forward?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Matthew - Thanks for your attention to this matter. You are right.  I just looked at it now and there are no errors.  Google obviously was using the cashed version that was from before the fix.

This experience also shows us something else... the fact that Google already had a cache of the sitemap means that we don't really need to add it ourselves. Google must be picking up each hubber's sitemap from HP's master sitemap. Am I right about that?

I'm wondering if there is any advantage for Hubbers to specify it in our own Webmaster accounts. Based on this, I think not. Would you agree with that?

Thanks again Matthew.

I think that is accurate Glenn, except that I think in this particular instance manually submitting the sitemap forced Google to check it again.
            So going forward, no, it does not seem like there is any need or advantage for individual authors to submit the sitemap to WMT as it appears they are already finding and using it.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
              Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Appreciate the quick reply Matthew. That also clarifies things. Thank you.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)