jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Squidoo experimenting with subdomains.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image92
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

It looks like Squidoo are considering going the same way as HP.  Although there are definitely pros and cons, I think that I personally, would welcome it.

Message from Squidoo below:

Short Subdomain Test

We�re working with search engines to better identify our lenses so that they�re easier to find in search.

This means that some of you may see that the url that appears in your browser when you visit a Squidoo lens in the test pool seems a bit different from the usual one. This is nothing to worry about� the traffic that�s coming to these lenses will still arrive, because we�re using a 301 redirect to be sure nothing gets lost. The test pool is pretty small so most of you won�t notice a change.

This is a limited test and the data we gather during this period will be used to improve the site as a whole.

1. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This test was first begun in the fall of 2012.

PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I was aware they'd done experiments previously when there was an earlier version of the Google algo and they weren't doing too badly (the October 2012 crash now seems relatively mild compared to what's happening now). 

The May 2013 algo update and subsequent Squidoo crash means that it makes sense to do new tests. 

I suspect that it is now more likely that they will alter the structure of their site.  The other measures they've adopted don't seem to be working so far, although it's early days admittedly.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Squidoo has my sympathy. But the writers at Squidoo have my sympathy 10X more.

PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it's crappy.  Not only has the crash been more serious there for many people, including myself, but there is still a steady downward drift.  Will Apse put up a "Giant Squid" traffic graph which showed the same trend as my own traffic and indeed, the Quantcast stats. 

Subdomains at least make it easier to distinguish between the best and worst accounts, currently everything is thrown in together, as far as the search engines are concerned.  (I wouldn't pretend that my work is all totally brilliant, but it's not spun, or copied, or just a collection of adverts and nothing else.)

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago

I wrote a couple of lenses at Squidoo, but stopped because when I read other lenses, it seemed they were all just big ads. I've seen some since then that are well written. However, I was generally disappointed with Squidoo.

4. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 3 years ago

Now all they need is QAP and a name change. Also, they need to stop calling people 'Sport'.

Anyway, I hope it works out for all those people who have put a lot of work into pages there. I'm afraid my respect for the management evaporated long ago and I can't see it coming back.