jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Worst bushfires in Australian history

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

We're all in shock from the bushfires over the weekend in the state of Victoria.  At least 750 homes lost and 108 dead, and the fires are still burning.  By all accounts, the fire came so quickly there wasn't time to get out.  I saw a picture on the news of four cars that had collided trying to evacuate - visibility would have been zero with all the smoke and ash, so I suppose accidents were inevitable.  It's pretty obvious from the burnt-out shells that no one would have got out of those cars alive. 

We live in such a sophisticated world, but in the end we're still no match for nature.

2. crashcromwell profile image80
    crashcromwellposted 7 years ago

It really is quite amazing. I moan and groan about all the snow we get in Maine, but aside from the occasional ice storm when power can get knocked out for a while, for the most part if mother nature is not being nice, we can just stay inside. My heart goes out to all Australians, and I'll keep everyone in my prayers.

Jim Henry

3. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

The news yesterday from Vic, which they even broke the cricket for in WAs timezone was horrific - whole families wiped out.

I must admit that there are large parts of Vic and Sydney's suburbs that I would never live in because I fear fire so much. It looks like it was really, really fast and very hot - unusual for an Australian fire.

I could never stay and defend - as they say you should - get the bloody hell out would be my motto, its only a house. It must have been very,very fast as kids were still in the houses - one volunteer fire fighter lost his wife and kids !

agvulpes put a good hub up about the victorian bush fires 2009

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not unusual at all.

Having spent a great portion of my childhood in the Blue Mountains I'd seen bushfires, from afar. And many years before a fire had burned to the ground the primary school I went to. The older locals would still talk about that fire like it had only happened yesterday.

Our house was a few kilometres away and fairly old, and around the back of the house was a concrete walkway that wasn't made properly. The original owner had been concreting that day, and the heat in the air from the bushfire sucked the moisture out of the concrete causing this deep pockmarked effect.

4. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago

Our thoughts are with Australia - wildfires are devastating and nearly impossible to fight.

5. Lifebydesign profile image79
    Lifebydesignposted 7 years ago

I heard this family were fortunate to escape to their underground cellar when the fire passed over, and even more fortunate that the metal cellar door, which glowed red hot the whole time, stayed strong.

6. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

I feel for the Australians going through this because my parents and their neighbors went through the same troubles two years ago during the widespread fires in Southern California.

7. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago

My heart and prayer goes out to all the families involved in those awful fires. Fire is such a devastating and final act.

8. RFox profile image81
    RFoxposted 7 years ago

I too feel for everyone dealing with this tragedy.

All my family still lives in Australia and bushfire season is always a cause for concern.

I was shocked when I read the news on the internet that the fires were worse than Ash Wednesday.

My prayers go out to all the people affected.