jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Tax information for American living in Canada

1. 61
    Mike Kurlanderposted 3 years ago

I know I need to send HubPages tax information, but I think my situation is a bit unusual.

I'm an American citizen who's also a Canadian PR (permanent resident), currently living in Canada.  The tax forms on HubPages' website don't take this into consideration.   

If I choose the "I'm an American citizen" option, I'm left with forms I can't properly fill out because the forms want certain pieces of US-specific information (such as state, ZIP code, etc).  I can't choose the "I'm not an American citizen" option because that'd probably be seen as fraud by the IRS.

I've checked the FAQ and this situation doesn't come up.  So I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image87
      Marina Lazarevicposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Mike Kurlander! Sounds like you already tried using the Tax Form Wizard. This is indeed a  unique situation and we're looking into the right answer for you. We'll contact you via email with next steps.

1. 61
        Mike Kurlanderposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your reply. 

When do you think you guys might have this figured out?  I understand it may take time (this is an unusual and most likely complex issue to deal with), but I'd just like to be kept updated.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image87
          Marina Lazarevicposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for checking in, Mike! We received an update about this last night so your timing is perfect. Because you are US citizen, you still need to submit a W-9. Please send us one by mail and provide your permanent address in Canada. You can find mailing instructions here: https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/taxes/Hard-Copy

2. lovebuglena profile image93
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

You sure have a dilemma on your hands. I hope someone will be able to help you out here. I wish I could help but I have no idea what you should do....

3. rebthomas profile image93
    rebthomasposted 3 years ago

I would contact hubpages staff and ask them how to proceed:<)

working