Good Ways To Get Traffic To Your Hubs (And Bad Ways)

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

PHILLYDREAMER started a topic about changing traffic conditions due to Panda and Penguin and working on attracting more traffic.

As I keep saying, people need to learn to diversify their traffic sources (and writing places, and monetisation methods, yada yada.)

After the overwhelming response to my common newbie mistakes to avoid advice, I thought that there are plenty of other areas where people often waste hours and hours when they could be using better methods. So I thought we could start sharing some GOOD ways to increase traffic and some BAD ways. I'll start.

Good ways to increase traffic (both on and off your hub):

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifMade For Pinterest [MFP] Images

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifUsing teaser text to encourage click throughs from social media.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifUsing teasers in your image descriptions (this goes into the description box when pinned to Pinterest) AND titles. And writing good titles. I can't repeat this enough - titles WILL make or break your hub and are 75% of your hub. They get seen by Google crawlers, seen by people who SEARCH on Google, shown on social media... you have ONE short title to grab attention for your WHOLE hub in the approximately 2-3 seconds a person sees your link before moving onto the next one.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifCreating a Facebook fan page, posting funny and interesting images that go viral, with a link to a [semi-related] hub in the description.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifCreating a basic blogger blog with short teasers linking to your hubs (not one I'd personally do, but some people have surprising success with this.)

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifLearn the golden rules of social media interaction: Trust, Engage, Scatter.
    -Trust: Develop people's trust in you by giving them good tidbits of information. Tips, hints, even sharing interesting links that you DIDN'T write.
    -Engage: Post things they can relate to, engage with, laugh at, share.
    -Scatter: Once they trust that you actually have something good to say and they are starting to engage with you, you can start scattering your own links in your updates [recommended: only 1 in 4 updates should be self promotion].
    This method works across Twitter, Facebook fan pages, Pinterest and many social bookmarking sites. You can tweak it for each site, but it is a great way to increase interest, shares and click throughs on YOUR content.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifPost comments on competitor's articles that allow URL comments. Only the high ranking competitor's articles of course. If your comment is high quality and shows you know what you're talking about, you can get a lot of click throughs (one of my top traffic articles used to get 50% of its traffic from a competitor's post. Till I outranked them. LOL)

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifUse lists. People love lists. Don't tell people that you are offering them "Ways to cure itchiness". Offer them "25 ways to cure itchiness". People like choice and variety!

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifIf you are a creative writer, check out Cardisa's hub on SEO for creative writing and poetry.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifJoin a forum related to a topic, add a few related links in your signature then start interacting a lot, even for a few weeks. Show you know what you're talking about, and even mention that "there is more info in my link/s below" [make sure you check the forum rules on self promotion]. Even if you only do this for a few weeks, if it's a public forum, posts can end up in Google, not to mention forum members finding them in an internal forum search.

Bad ways to increase traffic (or ways that waste time or piss off your friends):

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifSocial bookmarking your own hubs.
    Repeatedly. Even though you have no followers and never share anything else.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifSharing every hub you publish on your Facebook and Twitter personal accounts. Every single hub. And rarely if ever posting anything that WILL interest your friends or followers.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifBacklinking randomly. Without awareness of your competition, how saturated your topic is, keywords, backlink quality or topic.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifBuying backlinks. Wave bye bye to your Adsense account if you get caught doing this.

http://www.workpool.co.za/img/menu/blue_dot.gifNot thinking before you post. Would YOU approve that comment/look at that link/go to that page? If it feels like you're spamming, you probably are.

Disclaimer: Anything you post here may end up in a hub somewhere, someday. Maybe. You know me...

Feel free to post your own suggestions for ways to get, or not get, traffic. Or ask questions regarding ways of getting traffic that you're not sure about...

1. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

QUOTE: "As I keep saying, people need to learn to diversify their traffic sources (and writing places, and monetisation methods, yada yada.)"

WryLilt, I agree with diversifying traffic sources, but trying to write 25 hubs in HubPages is already a mouthful. Honestly, I'm still wondering how to diversify writing places and not spreading myself too thin.

WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Get up a good base in one place first. Try the 30 day challenge.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

You are a treasure Wry, (may I call you Wry?)
    Some of us have learned a few of these things the hard way, but I always remember my Mom saying, "Life is to short to learn everything by experience."
    Using the experience of others (like you) is always a time  and brain saver.

I recently saw some of your Pinterest graphics, which are very eye-catching.

Thank you for all of your great suggestions. I'm going to study this one more, when I have a few minutes.

You can call me Susannah if you want. smile But yes, Wry is easier to spell big_smile

I always appreciated great advice from people like Marisa Wright when I was starting out. But I still made a lot of mistakes. The more I can prevent other people making, the better! smile

2. WalterPoon profile image69

QUOTE: "Life is too short to learn everything by experience."

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others." -- Otto von Bismarck

Rochelle Frank, your mum says it better than Bismarck!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Right--- glad I was raised by Mom and Dad and not Bismark.

1. WalterPoon profile image69

LOL... Bismarck had "an extremely aggressive and domineering personality", according to Wikipedia. You may not like what you are today, after he frequently changes the landscape of your face, hahaha.

3. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
    Gcrhoads64posted 10 years ago

Great advice as always, Wrylilt. You wouldn't happen to know of a hub that explains the Facebook fan page traffic promotion, would you?

I might write one, one day. For a good example check out any Facebook page run by Empower Network. They are a pyramid scheme who has it down to an art.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
        Gcrhoads64posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

All solid advice Wry.... Personally, I wouldn't try starting a new FB Fanpage unless you have the time to manage it wisely.  Instead, I would locate existing Fanpages and Groups and get busy with them.

Very true.

2. Carola Finch profile image92
      Carola Finchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is risky to post a lot to other fan pages..  It worked fine for me for a while, and then someone flagged me as spam. I ended up having to change my password because, supposedly, someone "hacked" my account.  Having a fan page really works - I have gotten hundreds of readers that way.  I have a personal website that works well for me too.

Good point. Just as I pointed out in the OP, don't spam. And Facebook will ban you for pasting the same content in multiple places.

2. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The point of a fanpage is to engage and interact with other fans... that does not mean one should shove their own content and never engage others... That is SPAM and nobody wants that.

Yes, I know fanpages are a good source of traffic... I currently have 3 of them and get decent traffic to the niche blogs they were created for.  I don't post links from my Hubs on fanpages unless I know it is part of an ongoing conversation.  I post links to blog posts which sometimes link to hubs with a similar theme.

I spend at least a half hour each day on upkeep with my fanpages... now mostly out of habit but by doing so they continue to grow.

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Bump

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

very good suggestions, I had tried facebook, twitter, stumbleupon and pinterest. I guess posting the pictures aren't enough unless with funny sentences below them. I will try on that and hopefully will gain more traffic.

7. Greekgeek profile image76
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

-- Be specific. In poetry, it's artful to use elliptical language and metaphors without naming what you're talking about. On the web, it's the reverse. Say what you mean. Name names. Own your nouns. People aren't going to click on a vague title like "Amazing Thing that Happened to Me," but "When Wombats Attack: Menaced by a Marsupial" might nail some search terms as well as piquing people's curiosity.

--Do a little keyword research, but not to research the most-trafficked terms that might be vaguely related to your topic. Instead, the goal is to familiarize yourself with the lingo of your niche. What words do people use for the topic you're talking about? Search engines are more likely to send you the audience that's interested in what you have to say, if you speak your readers' language.

8. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Is there a good social media site for misanthropes?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3481/hubpages.jpg
      A girl after my own heart...

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Didn't your mother tell you about writing on young women?

Have "Pen" – Will Travel

Well, it wouldn't pass QAP. Not enough depth, old chap.

http://www.nps.gov/wamo/historyculture/images/WAMO_Aerial.jpg

That would probably do it.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try reddit.com. They're just plain weird and attract weirdoes as well as regular folks.

But it can get you lots of traffic spontaneously (or none at all)--very spotty, but worth looking into. Note that you can't add too many links in a short period of time or they'll make you wait (why?!?), and they suggest a ratio of 1:10 to keep the site from being just a big self-promotional site (one of your sites, 10 of others').

They even let you create your own "subreddit"s (categories) which you can own and add your stuff to.

Quirky site appeals to geeks bigtime. My two "subreddit"s are "ChainMailArtisans" and "HeyThisIsImportant". A few more years and I might even understand Reddit. LOL (Minimal/no help/direction on what to do with the site or how to "succeed" or even what "success" consists of on that site. Weird/geeky/cool.)

9. younghopes profile image67
    younghopesposted 10 years ago

as always Wry you have made an interesting forum post here, and i have learnt a lot from you, due to your advice now i also opting for MFP images. hope it works out

10. Anita Coleman profile image68
    Anita Colemanposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the Golden Rules in your forum discussion. I will tack them up near my computer so I don't forget them. Have a great day.

11. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Wry. I have links at end of old hubs to Amazon. In  addition I have links to good info on subject. Paul E. recently posted not to do that. Will Google penalize extra pertinent links?  Should I take them away - all of them?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why on earth did he say that?  It makes no sense.

The HubPages blog advises not to post Amazon ads at the END of your Hub because they won't sell anything.  They won't hurt you though.

Google loves "reference" links - if you've listed a number of links for further reading, and they're all good sites, that won't hurt at all.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We can write stuff on our Pinterest pictures? I did on a few that I thought needed more explanation, but wasn't sure if that was frowned upon. I know, I should read all the directions before I start something. I'm bad at that. I just looked at Bubblews, never heard of it before this thread. I like the bubbles smile

You can definitely post words on images, as long as it's not just there as a watermark - the text needs to add quality to the picture.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is there some reason why you felt the need to bump a three-month-old Forum thread?

Definitely, I small blaze somewhere near...

1. Writer Fox profile image31
                Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are a small blaze.  It's coming right off the top of your avatar head.

2. WryLilt profile image89

I see a lot of newbies making the same mistakes again. Can't hurt to help a few.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)