QAP hits older hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Looks like the QAP is indeed going after older hubs, just as Paul said.  Let me put this in perspective a little though - in 3 years I have seen a hub get a 100 score maybe 3 or 4 times.  And never for more than a day or so.

Now - happy day!  big_smile - I have 3 of them!  Three hubs, all at 100!  And 2 more at 99 - that's almost as rare as 100!

All three of them have blue arrows.  How's that for ironic? sad

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good job! I should go delete some more old crap hubs. Nah too lazy, they can get QAPped.

wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So do I delete the crap hubs with blue arrows or promote the ones at 100? I'd be promoting a deleted hub! lol

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha!! I see my first 100 ever. It does get decent traffic though smile

Oh no!  Now one of the 100's has dropped to 99 - the one with the most ever, monthly, weekly and daily traffic!

Wonder if I should delete all the high traffic hubs? big_smile

1. janderson99 profile image55
              janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

maybe the QAP hit the fan

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK, I'm confused. Are you saying your 100 and 99 score hubs got QAPd?
      What's the ironic part of the Blue Arrows part? They were getting more traffic after QAP?

GA

No - just that the only 100's I've seen in months are all blue arrows.  Guess I'm just a little strange.

2. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 10 years ago

I really don't get how it works.  I have a hub that's over 1,300 words, has 3 photos (properly attributed, of course!), a map, a quiz and a video, I've set it out as usual (sidebars etc) yet it scores lowest of my hubs now - 68 - much less than some shorter hubs.  I guess Hub score is as big a mystery as Hubber score.

I don't either, Judi - I just found it funny that they all had blue arrows.  Warped sense of humor, I guess.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It isn't just about following formats, etc...the writing has to be good and the topic fresh and well covered.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't look at hubscores at all, normally. But now you have forced me to, I am obliged to notice fresh faces at the top of the accounts page.

I also noticed one of my old, out of date pages got QAPed on quality grounds. Poor little thing, harmless and barely clinging to life before, and now stamped on by a Hunnish mTurk. Sigh...

Judi Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I realise that it isn't just about the format.  However, my style of writing doesn't deviate greatly between my history hubs and this topic is covered no less comprehensively than I have covered other topics.  I'm entirely willing to accept that all my writing is crap and that I don't do justice to any of my topics - in which case all my hubs should be languishing in the 60s because this one is on a par with them. 

I'm not whining that my hub has been "criticised" (WIlderness and the late, great SimeyC were in my AP group and I got used to them and others offering critiques of my hubs - this one included).  I'm commenting that it doesn't make sense to me that this hub should fair badly in the QAP when nearly all the others are scoring way above it. 

Postscript - it's now risen to 72, putting it amongst some earlier, shorter "sales" hubs I wrote.

Couple of things make this different, Judi. 
          1) you get no feedback as to what is "wrong", and must run your low scoring hub through the QAP yourself, trying to be objective, instead of watching Simey or I gleefully rip it apart while detailing in gruesome detail all two of it's spelling errors.  Tough to do on your own writing; if you thought it was bad you wouldn't have written it the way you did!

2) there is more to hubscore than the QAP, but we don't know what and don't know how much of it is the QAP.  Engagement, for instance is probably still a part of it and that might even include time on page.  I do note that all but one of my 100's (4 now, with 3 99's) are seeing double digit daily traffic and that single exception has 409 for the month; a daily average of double digit.

1. Gcrhoads64 profile image90
            Gcrhoads64posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe reader engagement is a large part of the score. I have a hub which gets traffic and has all the bells and whistles that HubPages wants. The Hubscore is in the mid 70's though, and I believe it is because of the lack of engagement  -  it only has 2 out of 5 stars.

Now I just need to figure out how to keep the reader on my page....

If it doesn't, it would seem to be a prime candidate to become a part of it.  Assuming, of course, that HP can measure time on page.

1. Will Apse profile image87
                Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They measure it but not very accurately.

I seem to be one of the few people who ever takes time on page seriously but it is a pretty infallible guide as to whether you have written a page that meets a readers needs. And in my experience, Google soon works out if you have, and delivers the traffic.

Agree 100%.  Time on page, IMHO, is one of the most important things we have to judge the value of a page.  And I agree that google pays attention to it, too.

I do wish that HP could get a more accurate reading, but we do have google to look at.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
                  paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree. As far as the positive signs go, I would think time-on-page trumps all else.

Judi Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Which makes me wonder why my top three hubs, according to Hub Score, have less than 10 hits between them today  smile 

And the Hub I was originally wondering about is now at a 75.  I've not changed it and it has had no more visitors than usual and no comments.

Hub Score, another fine mystery from the creators of Hubber Score big_smile

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

all i could say is Congratulations! Getting 3 hubs to hit 100 are great and i am sure your earnings are raising too. The highest score i could get on my hub is 94, never more than that . What's your secret?

4. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

For months my hubs went bipolar screaming up then down in the dumps...kind of like living with my ex again.
    I thought it was impossible to reach absolute zero till I looked at my scores today...they're so low I have to lie on the floor to see them...and why does that "We're dumping this crappie hub symbol" have to look like a '0' anyway...like rubbing salt in the wound...What's ironic is I still have a mid nineties author score...It's beginning to look like originality is unwelcome around here...HP has become ultra PC...yuck!

5. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Old Hub
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8057944_f248.jpg

Quick, QAP it!  All hubs must be Qapped!

6. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Subtle change in policy - the 'Half-Eclipse - Half Moon' hubs (idled for low traffic) now get deindexed and go into the 'Pending' sin bin. The 'low quality' full eclipse ones remind me of bullet holes. Ho Hum! Keep on dancing baby!

??MY half moon are just that - half moon and not pending.

1. janderson99 profile image55
        janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

But if you edit them, do they go to the swirling sin bin. A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, the half moons used to go straight back to being indexed and featured with a little edit of two, out of jail without passing go.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8058312.jpg

Oh, I see.  I'm not sure - I've only got one I'm concerned about, and am running a short trial - wanting to wait a bit before editing - so don't know what will happen when I do.

I assume, though, that it will go to pending.  I wonder if HP has, or could, make it so that a half moon goes to featured upon editing while a full eclipse goes to pending?  That might make good sense if the hub has already passed QAP.

7. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Well, all I know is that I now have a website with six ex-hubs, where Adsense clicks are increasing nicely in quantity and value, despite the fact I have not touched the site in months and do not follow "stellar" guidelines on having endless photos and a plethora of useless polls and suchlike. The site does not get huge traffic and the separate pages would probably be idled if they had remained as hubs, but the click I got on the site today is worth about 2 weeks of the HP Ads+Adsense earnings I am getting on my remaining 20+ hubs on HP, so I'm happy and it seems Google is as well.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is very interesting.  I don't think 'stellar' is the issue for Google - it is the other stuff that surrounds it.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm happy that I subscribe to a place where I get unlimited web sites with a simplified Wordpress set up (and unlimited non-WP sites as well) included in my subscription. That means all I need to risk further is the price of a domain for one year (often found at discount prices). I buy the domain and set it up. One year later, I can decide if it is bringing in enough to justify renewing the domain or not.

My sub also gives me access to loads of training material on setting up and marketing web sites. Unfortunately, i have not had enough spare time to look into this at all.

8. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Well, I've just deleted another hub on another account and moved it to a web site I have not touched since I set it up a couple of years ago. That site is also currently earning more from Adsense than I am earning from HP Ads + HP-related Adsense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)