jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

What is the best way to write quotes into a hub?

1. Thomas Swan profile image93
    Thomas Swanposted 3 years ago

I am about to publish a hub that contains a large number of quotes. I was thinking of writing those quotes in italics so they look different from the bulk of the text. Is there a better way? Could the "code" capsule be useful here? Perhaps putting them in colored text boxes on the right hand side of the page would work? What have people tried?

I am also worried that using these quotes might be seen as copying content from other websites that use the same quotes. Is there any way to avoid this? Should I be worried?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Quoting content is fine, as long as attribution is given and they are not a large portion of the hub.  Suggest you keep the quotations to 20% or less of the entire word count of the hub.

Thomas Swanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Wilderness. They're all quotes from one person, but I think I'll attribute each and put the date+location too. They're a little over 30% of the hub, so hopefully ok, but might try to narrow it down.

2. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When you are editing, choose the Quotation Marks on the Menu tab.  This will indent the quotation.  This is all you need to do.  Italics can be difficult to read sometimes when used on large portions of text.  I've used a lot of quotations in my Hubs and have never had a problem.  Just use quotation marks and attribute the author.  You don't need to provide a link.

Thanks Writer Fox, I had not noticed the block quote function before. I went with bullet points to indent the quotes this time, but what you suggested is equally suitable.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Thomas Swan,

Using quotes in a Hub is fine so long as they're properly attributed. If you're concerned that your quotes will cause a high percentage of duplicate content in your Hub, I recommend using a text image service to create pictures with quotes in them.

Pinstamatic ( http://pinstamatic.com/ ), Quozio ( http://quozio.com/ ), and Recite ( http://recitethis.com/ ) are some great free online resources to do just that. If your quotes are in image form, they will not count against the duplicate content in your text. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

Quotations and sayings is a topic category on HP listed under commercial and creative writing.  You can get ideas from some of the hubs listed.  As long as you're not copying them directly from another site in the same order, you should have no problems with a 'copying' issue.  Use different resources and add your own content. Quotations are searched daily for papers, cards, inspiration, etc.

Thanks rebekah, I had a look at some of those. Quite helpful indeed!

3. LeanMan profile image82
    LeanManposted 3 years ago

If you are worried about copied content put the quotes as a "picture"..

Putting your quotes into something like powerpoint and then saving the page as a jpeg is a very simple way to create a picture that you can then upload like any other. You could also put a fancy border or an illustrative photo placed with it or any number of effects! Have fun!!

4. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 3 years ago

Putting quotes in photos is a great way to get Pinterest love, but it also needs to be in text if you want to have a chance of getting search traffic.

The key is to add supporting original text with quotes that gives history, context, analysis etc.