jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Tax Forms for Earnings Program

1. profile image0
    Dawn Aliceposted 3 years ago

The sign up for the earnings program requires filling out a W-8BEN form for non-Americans. I am an Australian who already has filled this form out for other earnings some time back, and as such have an Employer Identification Number. I'm of the opinion that I might not need to fill out this form again. There doesn't appear to be an alternative. Some insight into this would be appreciated.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm Australian and as I have no personal ownership in anything US, I don't have to fill in anything. Or is that not an option for you?

1. profile image0
        Dawn Aliceposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks WryLilt, it's not an option if you want to be in the Earnings Program on Hubpages.

If you don't own anything in the US you don't have to do a tax form.

Do you own anything in the US?

1. profile image0

All sorted WryLilt, thank you so much!

big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm familiar with that tax form as I've had to submit it to Smashwords. For foreigners, it's only necessary if you are selling goods in the US - as you're not selling anything on HP, it's not necessary.

I have never submitted a tax form to HubPages.  All you need do is make a simple online declaration called a "Certificate of No US activities".

+1

2. profile image0

Thank you Marisa, this is what I needed to know. I have filled out the simple declaration ... so easy! I really appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

2. bredies profile image60
    brediesposted 3 years ago

I think if you don't fill it out they deduct 25% or 30% tax automatically.  If you do you get the full amount and are responsible in your own jurisdiction for tax.
    But I could be wrong.  At this stage with $0.19 in earnings I am not too fussed.   smile

1. profile image0

LOL, you never know Bredies, $0.19 can one day be $19,000. Thank you for your input and I wish you all the best with your writing.

working