jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)

RESOLVED: Group Manager Mouse Moves Not Working

1. SidKemp profile image96
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

When I go to my Manage Groups page, I am often unable to get the manager to respond properly to my drag-and-drop work.

I am using Firefox 21.0 on Windows 7, but I've had similar problems on my old Windows XP system, too, with both Firefox and IE 9.

I can do anything with clicks - expand or collapse the lists, add new groups.

When I try to drag a hub to a different group (say out of Orphan), I can't.

I've worked around this by editing the hub and selecting the group in the HubTool.

I would like to put my hubs in order within a group. I can't.

When I click on a hub and try to drag it, I get random results. Often, I can drag sideways (which is meaningless), but I can't drag up. I can drag down.

The problem is intermittent, but persistent and frequent. Refreshing the Managing Groups page or closing and reopening it usually doesn't work, but sometimes, it does. For example, I tried this four times before posting this problem report, and it didn't work. Then, as I was writing the problem report, it started to work again. Then it failed again.

When it fails, I move the mouse up, but the title being moved stops and won't go up, as if it's hit a glass ceiling.

When an upward drag fails, the hub gets randomly assigned anywhere lower in the groups - to a group lower in the alphabet, or all the way back down to orphan hubs.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your post has reminded me I haven't been near the groups page in awhile. I'll go there and mess around using the latest Chrome and report back whether problems or not.

SidKempposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, ParadigmSearch - I was feeling lonely, as well as frustrated!

Everything worked OK with Chrome. You already know all the obvious stuff as to rebooting and all that happy hoohaw. big_smile

I'd use this as an excuse to give Chrome a try. Most secure browser of the lot anyway, imho. Besides, the more backup browsers the better. smile

Maybe, but last time I used Chrome, it blew up my computer. :-(

It probably discovered that you were using Bing. lol

Nope: It blew up during *download*! It must have been allergic to Windows! smile

2. CloudExplorer profile image79
      CloudExplorerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Did you know that Hubpages has updated the hub editor so we can submit our hubs into a specific group, if not I figured why not help you out a bit. Let me know if you need any additional info on such a thing Sid.

I had issues a while back using both Firefox and Chrome and on Windows 7, so I know what you mean and I also have currently Firefox 21.0

Thanks, CloudExplorer.
        1) Yes, I'm using the HubTool to place hubs into the right group. But I like to put my hubs in within a group in a sensible order. As far as I know, drag & drop on the Groups page is the only way to do that. Do you know of another solution?

2) Have you checked to see if you have this problem when using either Firefox or Chrome?

3. Matthew Meyer profile image79
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sid,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing moving your Hubs amongst groups.
      I just tested in Firefox 21 and Windows 7 and was able to create new groups and move Hubs from my orphaned.

Do you see a spike in CPU and/or RAM used on your computer when you arrange the Hubs in groups?

Does the issue persist if you use anther browser like Chrome?

Hi Matt:

Thanks for checking in. I just turned on performance viewing and moved a lot of hubs around. The problem didn't happen at all, and there were no significant performance spikes.

So, from a practical perspective, good news, from a troubleshooting perspective, bad news: I can't reproduce the problem either.

Since no one can reproduce the problem right now, why don't we take no action but keep this thread open. If the problem happens again, I'll check performance. If anyone else reports the problem, you can work on it. Otherwise, we can close it out in 2-3 months.

Thanks for all that you do,
        Sid

1. Matthew Meyer profile image79
          Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad you are up and running.
          I will leave this thread open in case you see it again.

working