jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)

New Categories

1. profile image61
    Ethan Saenzposted 3 years ago

How can I propose a new category?

I want to propose a category for "History of Mexico."

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey Ethan Saenz, we do have a Topic for Precolumbian and Mesoamerican History, but a Topic for Central and South American History in general does sound like a good idea (and I can split them into specific countries when those Topics fill up).

I will probably create one this week. smile

1. profile image61
        Ethan Saenzposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Could you please create one for Mexico alone?  I know enough history of Central and South America to contribute to that section, but I think Mexico should have its own category. 

Thanks for replying.

Mexico is part of Central America, so I won't be able to expand Central America into individual subtopic countries until it is full (200+ Hubs).

1. profile image61

Mexico is predominantly in North America, and is not considered a Central American country (although some southern states are).  Also, many Mexicans are offended when they are listed as Central Americans.

1. DrMark1961 profile image91
              DrMark1961posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Why not "History of Latin America"?

1. profile image61

That would certainly be more inclusive.

It's certainly not my intention to cause offense, and I'm very sorry if I did so, Ethan Saenz. History of Latin America does sound like a much more appropriate Topic name.

1. missolive profile image94
                    missoliveposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HubPages Ethan, I visited your profile and I can see your interest in creating this category. Mexico has very rich history.
                    Christy, I like the idea of, 'History of Latin America' and perhaps the sub-topic of Mexico (and other Latin American countries) could eventually grow from there as volume increases.

2. profile image61

Thanks.  I didn't take offense, its just that I also read comments in Spanish sites, and geographical accuracy always turns into an issue when Mexico is refer to as  Central America.

Thanks for your prompt responses, and I'm looking forward to the new section.  Will I have to do something, or will the articles be automatically moved?

2. Christy Kirwan profile image

I'm pleased to let you know that I just created a Topic for "Latin American History." It can be found under Education and Science> History and Archaeology> History of the Americas> Latin American History. It won't get its own Topic page until it contains 5+ Featured Hubs, but you can now recategorize finished Hubs there and write new Hubs in it as well. Once that Topic page fills up, I will branch it into Topics on individual Latin American countries. smile

1. profile image61

Thanks

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's really an interesting tidbit - the topics become more granular as they 'fill' with hubs, right?

Yes, exactly Marcy Goodfleisch. As Topic pages become overpopulated, we break those Topics into smaller subtopics. I can create Topics on higher levels as well if I (or Hubbers) discover significant gaps in what our Topics cover. smile

2. peachpurple profile image78
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

you could write some mexico history and publish them. I would love mexican recipes... smile

3. profile image61

I'm not very good cooking. 

I've written two hubs, but I posted them in world history, because I couldn't find a section for Mexico.

I think given the large Mexican heritage in the U.S. it would be appropriate to have a sub-section under history.  Do you know how I can make it happen?

4. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

Welcome Ethan! smile

5. profile image61

Thanks to everyone for the Welcoming.

working