Current map capsule matches only on street addresses

1. earner profile image84
    earnerposted 3 years ago

I've often experienced problems with how accurate the hubpages maps are - and I wondered if there are any tricks I am missing.

I am in the UK and, for some hubs, it's appropriate to just put in a postcode.  The pin will appear in the centre of the postcode area and, sometimes that's good enough.

The trouble comes when I want to be more specific.  If, say, I am trying to pinpoint a particular building then I can find that using and right-clicking to get the coordinates, then pasting that into the maps module will often give good results.

However, if I then try to plot something in the middle of a field, it just goes all wrong.  e.g. imagine if you were trying to plot a coastal walk.  The one I tried earlier today was two fields in from a road.  I got the absolute coordinates for the spot and pasted them into the map module.  What the map produced was a marker on the nearest road, about 1/4 mile away (not even the road that gives access to the field).

Is there any way, using the maps module, of forcing a pin to appear at a precise location?

Thanking you in anticipation.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The current design of the map capsule works only with street addresses.
      So as you have witnessed, if you us an exact log/lat, then the capsule will force you to select a nearby street address.

As it sounds reasonable to mark a log/lat that does not have a street address, I have forwarded this to our engineering team to consider as a future feature to implement.

2. earner profile image84
    earnerposted 3 years ago

Cheers.  Yes, long/lat should be achievable - especially as does it.