jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Cleaning up Hubs

1. rebeccamealey profile image88
    rebeccamealeyposted 3 years ago

Not enough meat and potatoes  here for a full-blown Hub about, but I am finding that breaking Hubs with long text in capsules up and making new text capsules seems to be helping sleeper Hubs come back to life. Also, adding titles to photos. People want short paragraphs!

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image92
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is very helpful information. Thank you for sharing that with us.

2. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good points.... and yep..... People are definitely getting Shorter!  lol

1. lobobrandon profile image82
        lobobrandonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you're right.   You should always split your text up into multiple capsules, and add sub-headings where you can.  People are discouraged by an indigestible lump of text, and won't stay to read your Hub. 

That will raise your "bounce" rate, which Google will see as a sign that your Hub isn't good, so it will push your Hub down the search rankings.  Now that people find it easier to read your Hubs, they're staying longer and Google is seeing that as a vote of confidence, so it's more likely to feature your Hubs in the search engine results.  There's also more chance that readers will share your Hub with their friends.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image83
        Thelma Albertsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have to re edit my old hubs which have  long texts and have to divide them into  multiple capsules. Thanks for sharing the information Marisa Wright;-)

2. Renee Abbott profile image85
    Renee Abbottposted 3 years ago

Thanks for the information. I too have been doing this lately, and have had success with it. I actually find it enjoyable, and cleaning up the old hubs was a necessity. I think this will be a habit I will continue, for it offers me a look at my old writing habits, and to freshen up in areas that call for it.

Thanks again

3. G Miah profile image83
    G Miahposted 3 years ago

Excellent idea! I initially write in short paragraphs and use many capsules, but meybe i'll have to start going through them again.

4. RawatHimanshu profile image76
    RawatHimanshuposted 3 years ago

Nice advice...even I don't prefer reading long paragraphs...short is sweet. Naming photographs is also a good idea.

5. peachpurple profile image79
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

thanks for your ideas. I am making a new hub and revamping the unfeatured hubs now. Will use your tricks and hopefully these sleepy hubs are awake!

6. HelloMichael75 profile image80
    HelloMichael75posted 3 years ago

Yeah that's great! I am still fairly new to all this but I've already been thinking about ways to re-tweak and maybe re-purpose old hubs. Maybe convert them into PDFs and submit them to other sites as well? Would that help a sleeper Hub come back to life?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

2. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

HelloMichael75 that would be duplicate content, lowering your chances of traffic even more.

7. jasonycc profile image81
    jasonyccposted 3 years ago

Last week I found out that less than 10 of my hubs are featured. After updating them, I now have 25 featured hubs... out of 26. Yay!
    Most of the part I follow the tips on the top right hand corner.

8. 96
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 3 years ago

Those tips on the right hand side are in my opinion one of the best recent changes here. As a result I have been adding more photos than before and also using quiz, map and poll capsules for the first time. Plus you get a word count! There is something quite satisfying about publishing a hub with that nice long row of ticks smile