Hubbing experience

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (42 posts)
  1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

Though the HP community stands for love and cooperation, some hubbers hurt the feelings of fellow hubbers through their harsh comments.  Recently I had such a bad experience. Have you ever felt a painful  experience here? Can you please share?

1. Maricarmjolo profile image61
      Maricarmjoloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

so far..so good..

sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let it be so always....

2. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, adults can be worse than children sometimes by hurting others feelings.  It's just jealousy.  I've had several heated 'discussions' but I eventually get over it.  Just ignore those people who get under your skin.  Think of it this way,  you have something that they don't.  smile  Don't let a vew bad apples spoil your time here on hp. Some people just like to argue it's up to you to have the last say.  You would think that adults wouldn't act like this but they do.  It's sad.

Knowledge is power. When people of wisdom speaks it emits peace.  Thank you for the kind comments.

1. profile image0
          Sarra Garrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

any time.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think at times some posters forget the differences in cultures and communication and how words and tone are perceived.  I wouldn't let it bother you.  There are all kinds of personalities frequenting the forums.
      The abrasive ones give me a chuckle at times.  It's not really all about them..  Most hubbers want to help and give support.

I will never hurt anyone here. I am too pleased to help the fellow hubber whatever I can.  Thanks for your comments.

2. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 10 years ago

The trick is to try not to take offense to the comments...even though some be meant as hateful, choose to take them as helpful criticism if you can. Or at the very least, think of them as great fodder for an ongoing discussion on your hub...at least you will get more reads that way!

I have only had a few "mean" comments but have not taken offense over them because I know that they are just stating their opinion and I do not have to agree with them...

Really helpful tips. Thank you dear.

3. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

I suggest clicking on "Deny" for such comments. Personally, I have had no bad experiences. I agree with justateacher. If the comments are about improving the hub, then you should consider them constructive. If the comment is a reaction to your point of view in the hub, then you should take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully, no derrogatory words were used. I sometimes edit a hub and send the file to the hubber in an effort to help them with their grammar, punctuation, and organization. Everything is a learning process, and you have a right to your opinion, just as the commenter has a write to his. Take a deep breath; be grateful for your ability to remain calm when less-than-nice comments happen to come your way (hopefully, there won't be any more); and move on to your next hub, whether it be a new one or a revision on an older one. Keep happy and keep writing! God bless your efforts!

Hi Marie Flint,

You have given some useful tips and I am thankful to you for the same.  I like to know is there any "Deny" button, if the unwanted or derogatory  comments are appearing in Forum post.  I appreciate your service to fellow hubbers to help to improve their write ups.  I request you to check a random sample of my hubs and give me an evaluation report as I still feel I am yet to improve. Thank you once again for your kind words and blessing.

1. Marie Flint profile image72
        Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The "Deny" button only appears for comments on hubs. If the offensive comment appeared in a Forum, I recommend you contact team@hubpages.com through an email to let them know about it. They might have a way of deleting it. (I'm a little surprised they didn't catch it beforehand.) And, yes, I'll take a look at one of your hubs to see if I can help with anything. --Blessings, Marie

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can click "more" under a post and report as a personal attack. smile

1. Marie Flint profile image72
            Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, WryLilt. I was trying to convey that to Sunil but didn't know how. And, now I'll know what to do if it should ever happen to me (which I don't anticipate). LOL!

Marie, I got the idea. It is really helpful. I pray you don't have such bad experience here.

4. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I have had the same happen to me both in the forums and on my hubs. I have even had people email hurtful things to me. At first it didnt bother me but last year was a depressing year for me because I lost my brother and in the midst of it I had to deal with hurtful people here, so I sort of lost my passion for Hubpages because of it.

I am sorry but I can't offer any helpful advice other than to try and ignore, though hard it is.

Feel so sad about all these developments. Forget and forgive as Jesus preached. You will succeed. Thanks for your sincere expression.

5. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

Not me, but I have had people leave comments attacking each other's comments.  Some of the topics I write about are really controversial, so I guess it is to be expected now and then.

Thanks for the comments made.

6. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 10 years ago

I have never encounter such hostility on HP and I've been here over 2 years. But I know it exists because I've seen it being done on hubs as well as on forum.

Hubpages is usually a friendly eNeighborhood. But there are some who are unhappy and miserable and they only take pleasure in making others such. Avoid them. Especially in topics about ones faith or beliefs. It's just not worth it to deal with such negative energy.

And if it gets to you report it to the proper channel as Marie Flint suggested. smile

You are exactly right,  I agree.  I am pleased on the comments flow. It concretes my belief that HP community stands for all good cause and not for spreading negative energy. Thank you.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I want things to be positive. I write for pleasure and if someone doesn't like my writing or my subject matter then are free to leave - but I will not allow negative comments on my hubs. It is not that I don't want criticism.  If someone contacted me personally and told my work was offensive or they thought it needed editing, I would take that to heart and attempt to fix it. But I believe criticism is best done privately so the person being criticized can digest it and act on it if appropriate. There is no need to do it in public way.

Delete the negativity and move on.

I too share the same feeling. Thanks for your sincere comments.

8. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I've noticed that a lot of forums have been negative lately. Writers are in a foul mood, because of loss of traffic etc. It still isn't a good excuse to put down other people.

Let's educate them the value of love and kindness through our hubs. Thanks for your comments.

9. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

A few people come on forum to create trouble. Many times they have 0 hubs. They have a need to create controversy and ruin the discussion. Ignore them and they may go away if they get no attention. Sorry you had bad experience

Ok, Let's igrnore them. We have serious business here. So our energy can be channelized to the positive path.

10. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

What were the harsh comments in relation to? If they were to do with anything about your hubs, then this is something you'll need to learn to deal with on the forums.

Most experienced hubbers aren't going to butter up advice; they've been here long enough to see what does and doesn't work. You'll find if you mention how fantastic your hubs or scores are, you're leaving yourself open for constructive criticism.

We are not a group of writers here to pat each other on the back; most of us are here to make money, improve our writing skills or both.

Ok, no pat is required. But please note  an insult is more painful than an injury.  At least it could have been avoided. No problem, I forget and forgive.  I too stay here for making SOME money and improving MORE writing skill. Thanks for your comments.

11. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

Hi Sunil I read that comment when she made it to you, and your response. I do not think it was personal, just her method of being very harsh with everyone. She has made similar comments to others, native speakers too. A lot of her comments to me have helped my traffic, so it is best just to ignore the harsh words and work with the underlying message.
    Anytime you post on the forums there are going to be all sorts of strange replies. I posted a joking comment the other day about a thread on the HOTD, and the original poster answered as if I had personally attacked him. Most of the people that participate in these forums are too uptight.

Thanks for that information.  Regret to note that she is not following the HP culture of love, cooperation and sharing.  Thank you very much for the detailed expression.

12. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

I've been here for two years and this subject comes up time and time again.  Personally I've been hurt when a hubber only wanted to hear from others if they agreed with him.  Silly me thought he actually wanted to discuss and see where the discussion led.  Boy was I wrong.  And there have been other times when I simply struck a nerve in someone and got back way more reaction than I'd expected.  Personally, I don't delete any comments.  I ask for comments.  Sometimes I get more than I expected!  As far has corrections or criticism, I really appreciate getting a private email and having the chance to fix a problem in private.  Good luck and don't let it get you down.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

13. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

yes, i did encounter a couple of bad comments and hurtful ones from some hubbers. Although they are open-minded but they should know that some people are the quiet ones, sensitive to words. I usually delete their comments, never reply or rebuke to their comments. Not worth to waste my time arguing over the hub, making a bad image to others. Be a good and kind hubber to encourage more people to post new exciting hubs here.

I will always be good and kind to the fellow hubbers. Thanks for your advice.

14. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is that people here at HubPages come from many different countries, different life experiences, and different cultures.  In some cultures, people are more forthright, while in other cultures, people are more gentle in their presentation of criticism or advice. 

I have been writing here for more than a year, and most of the issues I have seen here are based on these types of simple disagreements.  One person answers a question, and the other person seems to take it personally and it escalates from there.

I don't think I have received any bad or hurtful comments - there was always a grain of truth underneath even if it was hard to read.  In fact, I think that the negative comments are more honest and more helpful than undeserved praise. The writer didn't intend to cause me  pain - s/he intended to help me.

Yes, if the cryticism is made in good spirit, it is ok and helpful. thanks for your comments.

15. shielamaeparreno profile image64
    shielamaeparrenoposted 10 years ago

I agree with Millionaire tips. It's really about the culture. The first week I was here I already thought of leaving because of a hurtful answer to a question I posed. But I'm glad I stayed. For the past two months I've learned to love those kind of comments. We learn more from them. smile

Nice words. thank you.

16. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

It is our responsibility to welcome new hubbers and give them the support we received.  At least once a week look at the latest hubs and encourage somebody new.  That's what so many great hubbers of the past did for me two years ago.  The debt goes forward.

Sure, I will follow your great advice. thanks for the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)