jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)

Discussions about Q&A, if so inclined.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Have any thoughts about Q&A; do's, don'ts, observations, opinions, and whatever else comes to mind? I'll start.

An observation. Sometime within the last 48 hours, I deleted 2 questions that I concluded the search engines have decided to permanently hate. This morning, I wake up to find that my Q&A traffic had doubled, and I'd even gotten an adsense click. Cause and effect? Or just coincidence? You decide.

I'm contemplating both deleting more non-engagement questions and adding more new questions.

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think you should delete more - I also got a !&A Adsense click - Thanks!!!

2. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

I had questions that hadn't received much play so I decided to choose 'best answer' and call it a day. The next day, everybody and their mother starting answering the question in a viral way. Last I checked, it generated 50 answers. I didn't get it. Anyway.  . .
    I would keep them up and open just to see what happens. It can't hurt, right?

paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the idea. Nothing better to do, so I went and picked 2 best answers. Brake12 and BSloan will no doubt be happy campers. big_smile We'll see what tomorrow brings. smile

3. skear profile image91
    skearposted 4 years ago

I haven't invested much time in Q/A yet.  I created a few questions to test the waters a bit but I haven't seen much traffic from them.

Do you feel they are worth the investment of time?  What percent of questions seem to actually generate good traffic?

It's generally not a pretty picture. I had over a 100 questions at one time. I'm now down to 26. And even some of those have had no visitors for 30 days. If a brilliant question comes to mind, and you have absolutely nothing better to do, post it; otherwise, I wouldn't give much time to it.

2. janshares profile image89
      jansharesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. There are so many questions rolling out so fast that unless it's something people are really drawn to, it can get lost fast. I haven't had a lot of luck either except for the few on entertainment. People love that topic for some reason. I've had others do ok, but for the most part, it's not my forte. I need to spend more time writing hubs.

Well, I went and posted an entertainment-related question. Give the search engine visitors what they want... LOL

4. SoundNFury profile image84
    SoundNFuryposted 4 years ago

Q&A can be fun but since I usually feel inclined to at least comment when people have spent time answering them, I find it can be more time-consuming than really worth it.  I only have 15 questions and more than 90% of their total traffic comes from one question.  Go figure.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

Twice, I have posted questions that coincided Panda or Penguin, and my traffic tanked, for my entire account.  In one case, last September, the decline clearly seemed to be related to posting a question.  Very frustrating!

Uh-oh. Thanks. If anything untoward happens, I'll know what to first suspect.

6. paradigmsearch profile image85

Damnit! The pic I used in the question just showed up on my profile page. I'm doomed. lol

7. SoundNFury profile image84
    SoundNFuryposted 4 years ago

You are now part of Snooki's World wink

One thoughtless moment. And now my life is ruined. It's just not right.

1. SimeyC profile image90
        SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're lucky - Snooki moved into our village last year (and this year I think) - there I was going to try and get my beer on a Friday night and the store was inundated with kids and camera crews - they had the audacity to try and stop me getting in! These very big black guards looked very embarrassed when they told me I couldn't enter - but they couldn't legally stop me! We bought our beer, complained very loudly and left! Sadly they edited us out of the show!!!

Well, someone answered my Snooki question. They went and copy/pasted wikipedia into it. Needless to say, I deleted it. There were no other responses.

My Snooki question had a purdy pic and the intro was SEO'd. Was hoping to get a whole bunch of tidbit facts and hilarious opinions about Snooki. Ultimate goal being to kick Yahoo's Q&A ass in the serps. Such is not to be...

Side note: This is not self-promotion. The question has been deleted and moved to another site far, far away... big_smile

8. paradigmsearch profile image85

Ya know... I just might transfer my other non-engagement questions as well... Be interesting to see how the first one does. And for that matter, there are other sites that also have potential.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

You can test it further Para wink

Actually, I did a Snooki hub a long, long time ago. That got nowhere either. Thus, my willingness to kill this latest experiment quickly.

I'm going to continue doing Q&A experiments, both here and elsewhere. 100 Q&A's is still less work than just one QAP'able hub. The question is, will they result in any revenue potential?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
        prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As long as you have the extra time then you can wait for further tests like test is quarterly. Only yahoo Q and A is being loved by the G.

Yep, and it's been going on for years. There is no way that Google doesn't know that most of Yahoo's Q&A are total junk. Yet, there they are, top of page one, year after year after year...

Makes me wonder if someone at Google and someone at Yahoo were dorm mates at one time...

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
            prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LOL

10. peachpurple profile image76
    peachpurpleposted 4 years ago

great idea. I am going to delete those questions that are not active. Thanks.

11. earner profile image85
    earnerposted 4 years ago

I've not created more than 1 question .... I've answered some, extensively and well (IMHO) and had a sudden rush of traffic, that tailed to nothing, so then they showed as "not featured", so I figured it might not be worth the effort.

I didn't know there was a potential income stream from Q/A, beyond creating a hub as an answer if you're stuck for inspiration.

I did twice in the last couple of weeks decide to ask a question, but couldn't find where/how again.

smile

I do find navigation round Hubpages, finding information, etc, very confusing most of the time, so I stick with what I know (log in and start a new hub).

12. earner profile image85
    earnerposted 4 years ago

I have, in the past, signed up for Yahoo Answers 2-3x ... and been banned each time for spamming - even though that last time I was deliberately not spamming (yet).... I was building up to that!!

So, I've never understood why the cr4p answers weren't cut off in their prime if I'd "got caught" before I'd even started/

working