jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

Death of a 16 Year Old

1. Lisa Petrarca profile image72
    Lisa Petrarcaposted 7 years ago

My friends 16 year old son passed away from a heart attack due to flu complications. We attended the funeral today. Later that evening as I got ready for bed I couldn't help but think about the things that keep me awake at night. All of the worrying over bills, money, my schedule, work...these things are all meaningless. Our kids, spouse, parents, brothers/sisters, grandparents- FAMILY, FRIENDS AND GOOD HEALTH is the only thing that really matters in this world.

Make sure you stop and put your priorities straight today. Hug your kids and family members, tell them you love them, stop stressing and worrying over the unimportant things of this life. This could be the last day you have them...did you waste your time on worrying, instead of building a loving relationship with the people who mean the most to you. My friends would give up everything they have in this world to be able to hug, kiss and talk to their child again.

I needed to be reminded of this and I know a lot of you probably do too.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How very sad Lisa. You sure are right about setting our priorities straight. We can never give too much love and encouragements to the ones that matter the most to us. My heart goes out to your friends, what a tragic time for them. regards Zsuzsy

2. SweetiePie profile image85
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

I am sorry for your loss Lisa, but thank you for the good reminder of what is truly important in life.  I think this would make a good hub topic.

3. tonks21 profile image57
    tonks21posted 7 years ago

I will pray for the family who has lost someone so precious to them. I thank God every night for my husband and daughter and pray that nothing will ever happen to them. It is true that we should worry more about the people that we love than material things in our life and other lesser things. Thank you for this reminder and I hope everyone takes this to heart.

4. ripplemaker profile image88
    ripplemakerposted 7 years ago

I will remember Lisa to be grateful for all the wonderful things today and everyday of my life.  My prayers go to your friend and family.  Thank you for reminding us.

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

How sad to see a young person buried. My sympathies out for you and your friend and her family today.

6. LondonGirl profile image90
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Attending the funeral of a 16 year old is miserable - my thoughts are with you and the family.

7. sassychic profile image60
    sassychicposted 7 years ago

It hurts to hear that someone so young died at such a young age. He's in my prayers! And Props to you to open up and post that on Hubber Hang out! That must have taken bravery and strength! Hope all is okay with your friends son and everyone affected by it! Here is a huge hug over the internet from me to you! And all of the people who knew the boy. That must be really hard to deal with. take the time to vent and express your feelings together positively with the people that knew him. sad

8. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Losing a child is the most unnatural of deaths. It's not supposed to happen that way. No matter how old the "child" is (my sister-in-law was 47), it's still a tremendous emotional shock to the family system, most especially the parents.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Through you, Lisa, she has a worldwide community of loving, caring people who are here with cyberhugs and very real prayers. Thank you for reaching out to HP with this news. And for the reminder of what is really important in our lives. Peace, MM

9. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Losing a child is the most unnatural of deaths. It's not supposed to happen that way. No matter how old the "child" is (my sister-in-law was 47), it's still a tremendous emotional shock to the family system, most especially the parents.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Through you, Lisa, she has a worldwide community of loving, caring people who are here with cyberhugs and very real prayers. Thank you for reaching out to HP with this news. And for the reminder of what is really important in our lives. Peace, MM

10. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago

Lisa, my heart aches so much everytime I hear of another parent losing a child.  I lost my son in 2003.  It's gut-wrenching.  The best advice I can give to you is to just be there to listen to her when she needs to talk.  I had a friend who would listen to me ramble and it helped.  There is also a website that would help her.  It's beyondindigo.com.  Some of the greatest moderators there (for their forums) are parents who have lost children around her son's age.  The pages are filled with the stories of parents who are going through (and have already gone through) what you friend will go through.  In those beginning days that was so very helpful for me.  I could sit alone at a computer and relate to these people and they comforted me with their words.  *hugs to you all*

working