jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Holidays new category...

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image51
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 8 years ago

OK can I ask about the holidays category?

Why oh why is CHINESE NEW YEAR an "American Holiday"?  If it's because it's celebrated in America, then it should be at least listed under China as well, and we do celebrate it here in Britain.

And under "American holidays" we also have

Valentines Day
    Father's Day
    Mother's Day

Apparently here in Britain and Ireland we don't celebrate Mother's Day, Father's Day or Valentine's Day.  Nor do we celebrate November 5th/Guy Fawkes' Night/Bonfire Night which is for us like Halloween, one of our MAJOR holidays although you don't actually get a day off work.  ?????

I'm sure there must have been some rationale here in the holidays category, but I'm at a loss to work it out.  Can someone at HubPages explain what it is?

Living in Britain I have a BRITISH HOLIDAYS category with holidays listed, but I also have European Holidays--> British isles which has nothing in it!

1. larryfreeman profile image85
      larryfreemanposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Hi Julie-Ann,

Thanks very much for pointing this out.  smile

We really appreciate your feedback and will make corrections to the Holidays & Special Occasions categories so that the ordering is more appropriate.

When you are dealing with over 6000 subcategories, mistakes can get made.  Feel free to use the top-level category Holidays & Special Occasions until we sort this one out.

I'll post here when the changes have been made.

-Larry

2. Julie-Ann Amos profile image51

Thanks Larry - wasn't meaning to moan and sorry if it came across that way!

Hi Julie-Ann,

I thought that you made a good point about Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, etc.

I've added a new category Holidays & Special Occasions/Common Holidays to cover these holidays.   I've also added Guy Fawkes Night to the list of British Holidays.

-Larry

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image51
        Julie-Ann Amosposted 8 years ago in reply to this

No problem.  Happy to make a list if you want UK holidays anytime!

Hi Julie-Ann,

A list of UK holidays would be great. 

-Larry

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 8 years ago

Very awesome work you doin too, larry! thank you! smile

4. Julie-Ann Amos profile image51

Ok we have

New Year (sorted)

Valentines Day

Easter (we have Good Friday, Easter Monday etc but just a category of "Easter" will cover it)

May Day

Halloween

November 5th/Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes' Day (not sure what to call this one - the 3rd name is going out of fashion and 1 and 2 are interchangeable so maybe call it Bonfire Night (Nov 5th)

Remembrance Day (11/11)

Christmas

Boxing Day (part of Christmas really)

New Year

It might be good to add "Saints Days" as there is a St George's Day, St David's Day, St Patrick's Day

I THINK that's about all of them.

Thanks, Julie-Ann.

I've added New Year and May Day to Holidays & Special Occasions/Common Holidays

Easter, Christmas, and Halloween already have their own categories since they are so big.

I've added Guy Fawkes, Remembrance Day, Boxing Day,St. George's, St. David's to Holidays & Special Occasions/British & Irish Holidays.

-Larry

5. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

Julie-Ann - you stole Boxing Day from Australia and NZ :-)

working