jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)

1. DaffodilSky profile image85
    DaffodilSkyposted 3 years ago

I've started all my hubs with a capsule entitled "Introduction".  Do people think this the best thing to do or should the first capsule be called something more punchy or relevant?

2. Krista Schnee profile image82
    Krista Schneeposted 3 years ago

I've been doing this as well. I think it would probably depend on the topic, but I'll look forward to hearing advice from more experienced users.

3. Marketing Merit profile image81
    Marketing Meritposted 3 years ago

Personally, I believe that your headings should be keyword related and relevant to the topic that you are writing about.  "Introduction" is fine if you're writing an ebook, but not if you want to get your article to the top of the search engine rankings.

DaffodilSkyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, that is interesting - and it makes sense! I may well be making some change,s but would still be interested to hear from other experienced hubbers on this...

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I see the first sub heading as the 3rd major opportunity to hook the reader so it's definitely worth using it to your advantage. In my opinion, you need to guide readers through these 4 elements to have a good chance of them staying on the page and subsequently, doing what what you want:

1st is the title

2nd is the description/summary

3rd is the first subheading

4th is the first couple of sentences

Using the word introduction in the subheading doesn't tell your reader anything. Think about phrasing the subheading to entice, intrigue, pose a question or to confirm (that they're definitely on the right page and are going to get the info they need/want).

Here's a good place to start if you want to learn more - http://www.copyblogger.com/bestselling-writing-hooks/

1. livewithrichard profile image87
          livewithrichardposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+1  We have a limited space of SEO real estate here on HP.  Not using your keywords in the subtitles is almost as bad as using no subtitle at all.

4. 96
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 3 years ago

Every single hub I have ever written has an Introduction and a Conclusion section. Looks like I should go through and change them all! Thanks for the tip Markting Merit...

5. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago

Titles and subtitles are a great way to draw in the reader, and to let the search engines know what your article (and paragraphs) are about.  I too have introductions at the beginning of each hub, but I never use the word "introduction" as a title. Introduction makes it sound like an essay instead of something fun and informative to read.  Instead, I explain what the paragraph is about.

Here are some suggestions:

"What is a XYZ and why it is important?"

The title rewritten with different keywords: "The Benefits of XYZ"

Since the title itself has to be clear and google searchable, you can make the subtitle the catchy phrase you would have used if the article was in a magazine.

The conclusion also works the same way. It is another place to add some keywords, maybe repeat the title, etc.

Thank you Millionairetips - that makes sense- think I was still living in the world of essays and homework!!

6. ossmedia profile image60
    ossmediaposted 3 years ago

Well your first impression is base of your hub. If you make heading so attractive then automatically visitors will read the hub and you will get the returning visitors.

7. Writer Fox profile image79
    Writer Foxposted 3 years ago

I just looked at your Hub, 'Create a beautiful garden in a small space', which is an excellent article with stellar photos.

The 'Description Tag' (what HubPages calls 'the Summary') is: "Guidelines on how to design and create a lovely garden sanctuary in a small urban space."

You are using 88 characters (with spaces).  Increase this to 157, the Google maximum, for better results.

On all of my Hubs, I repeat the words used in the Description Tag at the top of the Hub, just to make sure Google will pick that up most of the time.  Properly written, the Description Tag is also an introduction describing your article and encouraging people to read it.

When I looked at search results for that Hub, your Description Tag didn't come up and what displayed wasn't much to encourage anyone to click through to your Hub:

If I were you, I wouldn't use the word 'Introduction' in that top spot, especially not as a title for the text module.  For best results, use keywords there: A Beautiful Garden in a Small Space.

Thank you so much Writer Fox for taking the time to look at this hub and for all the good advice, which I will certainly take on board smile

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

I agree with Marketing Merit.  The word "Introduction" is not real searchable - it either has millions of sites that would pop up, or is simply not a word people use when they search.  Your capsule subhead is valuable real estate for getting more attention from search engines, so don't waste it on something that won't get searched.  If you are writing about Horse Breeding, for example, use your 'intro' capsule to give general information, but make sure the subhead still references your overall topic.  You could perhaps boldface the word "Introduction" at the start of the capsule text, if that's your most comfortable way of writing it.

1. 96
      Robbie C Wilsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Makes perfect sense when you think about it! I will now start re-editing all my hubs and remove Introduction and insert something more "search friendly". Thanks Daffodil Sky for bringing this up and to every one who has commented, I am sure this would have been hurting my search ranking!

I'm very glad I did for the same reasons!  Glad it's benefited others too:)

9. Carola Finch profile image95
    Carola Finchposted 3 years ago

A first paragraph these days has to be so intriguing so that the reader will read further, We only have a few seconds to engage the reader and make then want to read more. A first paragraph is a teaser, hinting at a mystery worth exploring.

1. Marketing Merit profile image81
      Marketing Meritposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely spot on Carola Finch!! 
      It's something I still have to master and is a craft in its own right!

10. Abby Campbell profile image95
    Abby Campbellposted 3 years ago

I try to find the best keywords for subtitles as well.

1. Writer Fox profile image79
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Me, too!

11. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

I routinely do both, as in: "blah-blah-blah ~ Introduction"

The use of the word "introduction" in the first capsule subliminally entices the visitor to read the second capsule as well... Leastwise, that's my theory.

12. janshares profile image86
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I have an introduction and a conclusion in most of my hubs. However, I never write the word "Introduction" as a subheading. It seems redundant. We know it's an introduction. What you say in the introduction should make the reader want to know more. A good subheading sets the tone for the article and increases your chances of the search engine finding your article.

At the end of an informative article, I will write out the word "Conclusion." By this time, my subheadings throughout the hub have already done their job. I may or may not use another subheading at the end unless it works for continuity and flow. Using "Conclusion" identifies a summarization with thoughtful observations/implications of what the reader just read.

Interestingly enough, when I write my hub in Word first, I always label the first paragraph, "Introduction" for my own organization, as well as the "Summary."

Thank you janshares, and everyone else, for your input.  I have now revised all my introduction capsules' titles.  I've learnt a lot about SEO since joining HPages - but obviously  there is a lot more to learn!  I can't fault the community aspect of HP smile

1. janshares profile image86
        jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You're very welcome, DaffodilSky. Good luck and much success.