jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

How to Properly Expand

1. 0
    Ben Blackwellposted 3 years ago

I've read a few hubs about what I should do during the beginning days and weeks of my Hubpages experience.  Here's my plan:

*  Participate in forums and questions
    *  Hub hop and read other people's hubs and leave comments (but not just to spam)
    *  Write 2 articles every week

Does this sound good?  Also, is there something else anyone would recommend?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are off to a good start, but i strongly advise reading the learning center.  I would also advise writing in one area in which you have some expertise and that is not an area that has been over saturated such as saving money, seo etc.  Welcome to HP and good luck!

1. 0
        Ben Blackwellposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the advice.

1. HollieT profile image88
          HollieTposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Being social on this site certainly wont harm you, and that's fine if that's what you wan to do, but you don't have to be really social to do well here.

Remember to research your keywords and the competition, as Timetraveler2 has already said there's lots of info in the learning centre, about all sorts of things, not just keywords. But they are important because they'll help your work to be discovered.

Good luck smile

2. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I ditto the advice to read the Learning Center hubs.  I also recommend reading hubs, not so you can write comments, but to get a feel for how hubs are written, what you like about their layout, format, style, etc. 

It also helps to join other sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and start developing a following there.  That way, you will have a place to share your hubs.

3. livewithrichard profile image86
      livewithrichardposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It really depends on what YOUR goals are... Were you lured to this site with the hopes of writing and earning money?  If so, then writing on philosophy and creative writing can be a real struggle here.

Forget about the hub hopping right now... go to the top "explore' link and drop down to hubs... from there you can find the topics you are most interested in and then read and comment on those hubs.  I'm not saying this to be mean, but hub hopping for newbies is a waste of time because it is a form of site quality control.  Your time would be much better spent reading hubs that have already passed the quality tests and are featured on the topics pages. (But go through the learning center to learn the mechanics of hub authorship.)

If you are seeking to earn money from your writing then you need to put as much focus outside of this site by building on your social networks and by getting involved on sites and forums that debate philosophy.   External traffic is where you earn your money from.  That said, internal traffic that also become a follower of yours, often share your content with their social networks which then also brings in external traffic.

1. 0
        Ben Blackwellposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the ideas.  I figured that writing about philosophy wouldn't get me as much traffic as writing about other things going in, but it is something I want to write about anyway.  My goal here is to have my articles read by many people, which I suppose almost parallels revenue.

My plan for now is to continue writing about philosophy and similar subjects, then branch out into writing about music, with the occasional hub about anything else.