jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Question concerning long writes.

1. 60
    DJ Andersonposted 3 years ago

When writing a piece that is quite long, I find that I have to read over much of my material
    or I will lose the correct emotion of the character.  I am working on a story covering three generation with three different stories, but they are all connected.

Do others find that they have to read over the previous material before they take up writing where they left off?  It does take up a great deal of time.

Thank you,

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 3 years ago

Yes. Every time.

It's very annoying sometimes, but I never seem to avoid it.

However, at other times, I'm glad I did reread, because I pick up the flavor of the short story I'm writing and go on easily with that same voice.

3. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

It depends on where I left off (Middle of a chapter or end) and how long it takes me to get back to it. If I find myself unsure about a change I'd made or some detail I had added, I will go back and reread but most of the time, no. I edit a lot so I usually end up rereading several times later and will tweak the voice where I need to then.

4. queerlyobscure profile image93
    queerlyobscureposted 3 years ago

If I leave it more than a day or two? Yeah, I have to re-read, although I find it's usually got more to do with picking up the finer threads of the plot than the characters. Characters seem to stay with me.

I don't mind it. I usually make one or two edits as I skim, so at least I've gotten the stuff that really sticks out edited already.

5. Billie Kelpin profile image91
    Billie Kelpinposted 3 years ago

DJ, I'm wondering if you're an auditory person?  I am, and I seem to have to re-read in order to get the rhythm and flow of what I wrote - otherwise, it's a bit disjointed.  I listen to all my news on the radio or TV and rarely read a newspaper (not a proud thing I'm saying, here).  I also sub-vocalize when I read so the sound of the written word is really, really important to me.  I've never written anything longer than a long short story, so I might be missing the essence of the question. (Now I'll have to go back and read this post again:)