jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Got a chance to test my theories on my evacuation hub.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

We got a mandatory evacuation notice, due to wildfires in our area. All turned out well, we are safely back home-- my first time in a Red Cross shelter. I will be writing about it.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm thankful you're safe and look forward to your Hub about it!

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's a scary experience knowing that wildfires are bearing down on you.  Glad to hear you're all safe.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 3 years ago

Rochelle, I saw a reference you made to that earlier and kind of assumed you'd volunteered to work with the Red Cross.  It didn't occur to me that you were the one evacuated.  What a harrowing ordeal that must be to go through.  Glad you (and apparently your home) are safe, and now wondering about others in your area and others you know.  I imagine it will feel good to settle back into "the nice rut" of Hub-writing after that.   smile

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

That must be the most helpless feeling; to watch the fires approaching and have no way to stop them.
    Hurricanes and tornadoes are scary enough but most come out with their house intact.
    I don't think I would be able to come back home to an ash laden ground where my home once stood.
    I wish you well and hope the fires are put out.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. It will take me awhile to get to it. We have boxes of "stuff" that needs to be put away again.  Looks like the fires are almost all controlled.
    stats: 2200 firefighters, 1,200 residents evacuated, 1,660 acres burned,  no homes lost, 70% contained, 50 homes still threatened.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is so crazy... Thankfully you had a plan and are now safe.  While in the Army in the late 80's we worked with thousands of firefighters and volunteers to contain a fire threatening San Bernardino.  It was a scary thought then too as the fire spread so fast we didn't think we would make it.  It seems that the residents there go through that same anxiety every other year...