jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Improvement Suggestion for Comments Section in Hubs

1. LisaKoski profile image91
    LisaKoskiposted 3 years ago

Almost everyday, I read through hubs that catch my eye and the comments below. I've noticed that there are many comments that tend to be pretty identical to each other such as "Great hub!" or "Thanks for sharing!" My suggestion is to add a "ditto" button (or something to that effect) below each comment for those who share the same sentiments after reading the hub, just to avoid these same comments over and over.

The reason behind this is that there are some comments from guest readers or other hubbers that are actually quite informative and can really add to whatever the author has written. Unfortunately, these can get lost in those complimentary comments that are always appreciated by the author but do tend to be repetitive.

1. Robin profile image
      Robinposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi, Lisa!  This is a great idea.  Ideally, instead of leaving a comment the reader would click on one of the feedback buttons, but this doesn't happen.  I'll bring it up in our Community meeting next week.  Thanks for the suggestion!  smile

2. susi10 profile image94
      susi10posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that is a really cool idea, Lisa!

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Bear in mind that many people who comment "great Hub" or "Thanks" are not genuine.

If a meaningless comment is from someone who is not a Hubber, always delete it, because you can bet they don't care two hoots about your Hub, they're just making a comment for the sake of getting a link from your Hub to their website (their name is a hyperlink to their site).  If their site is not a reputable one (and they often are not), then you don't want your Hub to be linked to it in any way, so it's very important to delete those comments.

If the comment is from a Hubber, take a look at their profile (because their comment has linked to it).  Are you happy for your Hub to be linked to that person? Are they a genuine Hubber with quality Hubs, or are they a spammer trying to get attention? 

Most genuine Hubbers understand that meaningless comments do more harm than good (by diluting your keywords and making it hard for people to find the valuable comments), so they will take the extra trouble to say something meaningful.  So don't be scared to delete comments you suspect are not "real".

4. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We discussed this in our community meeting today and currently do not plan to revise the commenting system.
      We have, however, added this to a list of features to consider for a future overhaul of the commenting system for the site.
      Thanks for taking time to share your ideas!